chapter 12

The thudding of our feet echoed painfully through my head; not exactly helping the pounding headache behind my eyes. The pain started to set in as soon as we left the mountain. Whether it was from the sudden grief mounting from Gandalf's death, or the constant bombardment against my mind from the Ring was still unclear. The Lady had taught me years ago how to block my mind to any telepathic intrusions. Thankfully, the walls and hypothetical locks that I had set up were strong enough to keep the enemy from penetrating my mind. The tree line we were headed to was getting closer and closer by the minute. I could almost smell the crisp clean air of the woods ahead. It has been too long since I was able to climb a good tree and let it's calmness rush over me.

Half an hour later, we broke through the tree line onto the gold leaf covered floor. A slight breeze played with falling leaves as they fell around us. Almost immediately I could sense the power that protected the golden wood. The Lady has the power to protect all that enter the woods; making this the safest place we'll be this whole quest.

We slowed to a steady walk as we made our way deeper into the forest. I walked in the back of the group as everyone stared in wonder at the beauty surrounding us.

"Stick close little hobbits," Gimli pulled the Hobbits closer to himself as he clutched his axe, "They say a great Sorceress lives in these woods. An Elf witch...of terrible power." I rolled my eyes and softly scoffed at his words. Dwarves and their stupid hatred of Elves. "All who look upon her, fall under her spell."

The Hobbits' eyes grew round with worry at his words, and they glanced around their surroundings as if they expect this 'witch' to jump out from behind a tree.

"Well, here's one Dwarf she won't ensnare so easily. I have the eyes of a hawk and the ears of a fox." Gimli turned back around only to gasp as he almost walked straight into the tip of an arrow. I had to bight my lip just to keep from laughing at the surprised look on his face. Each one of us had an arrow pointed straight at us as more elves clad in silver moved out of the cover of the trees. Aragorn raised his hands in a sign of peace as he looked around the group of Elven guards.

"The Dwarf breathes so loud we could have shot him in the dark." Joy rushed over me at the sound of the Ellon's voice. His body was blocked by the guard standing in front of me, but I could recognize his voice anywhere.

I looked at the guard poking his arrow in my face and quietly spoke to him in Elvish, "Please, I need to speak to your captain." There was no sign of acknowledgement from the stoic guard. I tried again, "Please. I must speak to him. Tell him Andriel is here and wishes to speak with him." I saw his resolve start to flicker at my words so I tried one more thing. "Surely, you have heard of me. I am Lady Andriel, adopted daughter of Mithrandir. Your captain knows me, as well as your Lady."

His gaze flickered to a guard standing slightly behind me and nodded. I smiled my gratitude and bowed my head in respect. Lowering his bow, he walked to the front of the group where I could now see Aragorn and Legolas talking in hushed tones to a tall, muscular Elf. The guard made his way to the front and spoke to the Ellon as he gestured back towards me. The fair Ellon pushed the guard aside and stared at me with surprise evident in his dark blue eyes. He took long, fast strides past the rest of the Fellowship and guard as he made his way towards me. Stopping a mere foot in front of me, he raised his hand towards my face but stopped before he touched me. Awe shone clear on his usually emotionless face as he raked his eyes over my dirt covered face.

"Hello, Haldir. It's been a long time."

For a few moments he did nothing but stare at me. Concern swept over me as tears started to build in his eyes.

"We heard you were dead... killed by a band of Orcs in the wild."

I raised my hand and caught a lone tear as it slipped from his eye. At my touch, it was as if he were woken from a trance. He swept me up in a fierce embrace; holding me as if he thought I would disappear if he let go.

"Haldir, I can't breath," I gasped.

He sprung back as if he thought he had hurt me. "I'm sorry. It's just.."

I put my hands on his shoulders as he held me at my waist. "I know. We have a lot to talk about. But my friends need help."

A slightly guarded look flashed through his eyes as he looked at me. Sighing, he dropped his hold on my waist; causing my hands to fall from his shoulders as he turned away slightly. He cupped my elbow and started walking towards the front of the group where Aragorn and Legolas had been talking with him. I could hear Gimli as he spoke to them, "Aragorn, these woods are perilous. We should turn back."

I would have laughed at the way he stood, with an arrow in his face and his arms raised in the air in surrender as his wide eyes shifted back forth between Aragorn and the arrow.

"You have entered the realm of the Lady of the wood. You cannot go back." Haldir turned and looked straight at a wide eyed Frodo. "Come. She is waiting."

----------------------------------------------------

For several hours we walked on in silence; the guards flanking us on all sides. Haldir raised his hand from the front of the column, signaling us to stop. He turned around and addressed us, "We will be entering the heart of the forest very soon." A moment of hesitancy crossed his features before he spoke again, "It is by Elven law that no Dwarf be able to look upon the path from here."

"You mean you will blindfold Gimli?" I asked.

"Yes."

Gimli sputtered and mumbled something about high and mighty elves. "I will not be blindfolded like some common criminal!"

Aragorn silently sighed and turned to Haldir,"Are you sure there is no way around this. Gimli is an honorable Dwarf. I will personally vouch for him."

"I'm afraid that this must be done."

Aragorn took Haldir off to the side started quietly conversing with him in Elvish; gesturing to Gimli and the rest of us. I once again felt eyes on me as I stood watching the two men talk. I glanced around until my eyes fell on Legolas, who was, once again, staring at me blazenly. His eyes were narrowed as he seemed to study me. I looked away from his intense stare. I felt weird fluttery feelings in my stomach from his gaze. Movement in his direction caught my attention as I saw him walk up to Haldir and Aragorn.

"Blindfold me as well, if you will not let him walk freely." Aragorn looked at him in surprise and then smirked slightly.

"No. I am sorry, Prince Legolas, but I cannot let your father find out that I blindfolded his son as he walked through Lothlorien."

"Then blindfold us all." I stepped forward as I spoke, gaining their attention. "If our friend is not allowed to look upon the beauty of the heart of the woods, then we will also be robbed of that privilege."

Everyone in the fellowship nodded their agreement at my words. Haldir stood in his place with his arms crossed stubbornly. Finally he sighed and nodded towards his men as they each produced a long piece of cloth. One of them stepped up behind me and gently placed the soft material over my eyes; effectively cutting off my vision. I felt him secure the knot and step slightly back away from me still close enough that he could guide me through the woods. once everyone had been blindfolded, my guard gently took my arm in his hand as they led us on the winding path through the heart of Lothlorien. A few hours passed as we walked, not once stumbling on any roots or rocks in our way, so careful were our guides. We stopped at what felt like a hill. I could feel the breeze flow over me, and the sun rays were cooling down, indicating that it was setting.

"Here we can take your blindfolds off," Haldir said.

My guard dropped his hold on my arm and stepped behind me to untie my blindfold. I blinked my eyes to adjust them to the light as I looked across the tree covered valley. In the very center, stood a large crop of trees standing tall above the rest of them.

"Caras Galadhon, the heart of Elvendom."

----------------------------------------------------