chapter 17

Oh, look, another rock, and there's some more grass. Oh my, there's a red rock!!

Yes, if you haven't guessed by now, I am completely and utterly bored. We have been running without rest since we left the woods, in search of Merry and Pippin. Aragorn has been running like a man driven with a purpose. Yes, that purpose is a good one, but poor Gimli has been struggling to keep up with us.

"Come, Gimli, we are getting closer with every step."

I have been running beside him for the past five miles now. The Dwarf was having a hard time of keeping up with us longer-legged people. His wheezing and mumbled encouragements to himself were the only things filling the silence, besides the sound of our feet pounding the ground relentlessly.

This is the second day of tracking the Uruk Hai across the plains, and if I am not mistaken, I have a feeling they are heading towards Isengard. The white wizard, Sauroman, had long turned against us. It is my guess that he had bred the Orcs that had attacked us, for there was a white hand painted on their armour.

For hours we ran across the open plains, every now and then stopping to rest a few moments before starting again. I hadn't told anyone about what happened in the woods with Sauron, but I could tell that Legolas was beginning to become suspicious. It wasn't helping that my mind was constantly thinking about it, and I was always having to fight off the darkness trying to invade my mind. I don't like to admit it, but I am so scared that I will relent and turn to Sauron. The fight is becoming stronger everyday.

Up ahead, I saw Aragorn slow to a stop at the top of some rocks and kneel to place his ear to the ground. Gimli and I soon caught up to hear Aragorn say, "Their pace has quickened. They must have caught our scent. No more than a day ahead."

With that said, we pushed off once again.

"Come, Gimli. We are gaining on them!" Legolas said over his shoulder, trying his best to encourage the stalwart dwarf.

I took off with a grin after the two figures in front of me as Gimli groaned and ran as fast as his short legs allowed. For hours more we ran on, until we finally stopped at the top of a hill to catch our breath. Even more plains of golden grass and giant boulders stretched out before my eyes.

"Rohan...home of the horse lord's. There's something strange at work here. Some evil gives speed to these creatures. Sets their will against us," Aragorn said as he scanned the land before us.

Legolas took off at a jog to higher ground, us following behind.

"Legolas, what do your Elf eyes see?" Aragorn yelled ahead.

"The Uruks turn northeast. They're taking the Hobbits to Isengard!"

"Sauroman," Aragorn mumbled with dread.

I could have told you that myself.

----------------------------------------------------

"Her power grows stronger every day. I know what is happening in her mind. I have seen the growing darkness. He means to take her."

Two figures stood overlooking a wooded area. One, serenely beautiful and golden headed; the other, older with white hair and a beard, dressed in stark white robes.

"That will not happen as long as I can protect her."

"She believes you are dead. What hope she had before is steadily dwindling."

The white figure sighed and turned away. "I know. But if I had not interfeared, they would have all died. She will realize that in the end."

"Perhaps. But I fear she will not receive the strength that she needs to overcome Sauron."