chapter 25

The next morning, we awoke with the sun and saddled our horses. Our small company was filled with tension, for we did not know what to expect once we came to Orthanc, the tower at Isengard. We were a small group, but we consisted of the strongest people here. Myself, Legolas, Gimli, and Aragorn were accompanied by Theoden, Eomer, and Gandalf; not to mention the regiment of soldiers that trailed behind us. It was our hope to either defeat Saruman or bring him back from Sauron's dark grasp. I had the feeling, however, that it would be his fall that we would see.
The journey was long, and even though Legolas had tried using the excuse that Haldir might need me after he was injured so badly, I pointed out to him that my powers were strong; therefore, Haldir would be perfectly alright without me around to watch him. Legolas had sighed in his defeat and grumbled irritably as he stalked away towards the stables, leaving an amused smirk on my lips.

Now I sat behind him as we rode towards that accursed tower. I hoped beyond hope that all the Orcs had been emptied from the land in their attack at Helm's Deep, but I knew that was a fool's hope. There would undoubtedly be Orcs waiting for us there, and that did not settle lightly with me. I was beginning to become weary of fighting. For so long I had fought to survive, and for once, I would like to be able to just sit in a tree somewhere and listen to its thoughts. I sighed and tightened my hold around Legolas' waist. His presence alone was enough for me now.  As if he sensed my feelings, he laid his free hand against my own and stroked his thumb against the back of my hand. I smiled and leaned against his back.

It took us nearly two days before we reached the pillars that lined the beginning of the road to Isengard. We were surprised to see the ground in front of us soaked with water. Small ponds dotted the land before us. But these ponds had not been there before. They were muddy and shallow. It looked as if a large wave had rolled down across the land, soaking it and leaving behind all the water in its wake. We stopped and stared in confusion. What could have caused this damage? Without a word, we continued on with a  stronger sense of caution. The farther we went, the wetter the land became and the deeper the water got. Before long, the walls of Isengard were seen in the distance. As we got closer, laughter floated on the breeze towards us. Many looked at each other in confusion, but Legolas and I had small smiles on our faces, for we had recognized the laughter. Hope rose up within me. I would know those voices anywhere.

"I feel like I'm sitting in the Green Dragon having a pint of ale after a hard days work."

"Only, you've never had a hard days work, Pippin."

Giggling was heard as we rounded the bend and we were allowed to see the source of the almost childlike voices.

"Welcome, my lord's, to Isengard!" Merry and Pippin sat upon the broken wall, sipping from mugs of ale and smoking their pipes as they chewed on bread and meat.

"You young rascals!" Gimli cried out from behind Aragorn's back. "A merry hunt you've led us on, and now we find you feasting and...and...smoking!"

Aragorn's face was almost splitting from the grin of relief and amusement on his face as he watched Gimli and the Hobbits.

"We are sitting...on a field of victory...enjoying a few well-earned comforts," Pippin slurred. "The salted pork...is particularly good!"

Gimli's mouth dropped open and I could very nearly see him drooling over the thought of meat. "Salted pork?"

Gandalf shook his head in amusement and muttered, "Hobbits..."

"We are under orders from Treebeard, who has taken over management of Isengard," Merry continued; seemingly not noticing the others amusement in his slightly inebriated stated.

Just then, a great booming voice rattled the air.

"Young Master Gandalf, I'm...hmmm...glad you've come." I stared in amazement as a large tree-like being strode into our sight.  He stood on two legs as a man would, but the similarities stopped there.  He was very large, standing at what must have been at least twelve feet tall, and in place of skin he was covered in a grey colored bark and green moss.  His arms, or rather limbs, stretched down nearly to the ground and ended in large hand-like branches. His face had a slightly humanoid quality to it, and moss covered it in a long flowing beard. "Wood and water, stock and stone I can master. But there is a wizard who needs managing here, locked in his tower."