Chapter 24

The thing that Elves are most known for possessing, besides great beauty, is patience. However, I am starting to believe that I was not given that specific gift, for after only two hours of being in the caves I was beginning to pace the floor in complete worry. The fighting had not started yet, from what I could hear, and my nerves were nothing but a frayed mess. I should not have allowed Legolas to lock me in down here. I realized now there was so much I could do up on the wall, yet I allowed some overprotective Ellon to stick me into an oversized, glittery hole in the mountain.

The people had quieted down long ago, leaving the air thick and putrid with tension for the upcoming battle. Oh, how I longed to see what was happening outside of our cave. Just to be able to catch a glimpse of my friends' faces one more time would be enough for me. My mind strayed to Legolas and whether or not he had apologized to Aragorn yet. I knew he most likely has by now. The two of them were as close as brothers and could not stay mad for long. Then, I could not help but to think of Legolas and our... relationship. I never would have thought that I would fall in love with someone, let alone a prince. Me, an orphan who does not remember her parents or where she was from, or even from where she had gotten her abilities, had somehow fallen in love with a Sindar Elf high above her own status. Why would he want me? I have nothing to offer in ways of treaties or doweries. There is no way that his father would allow us to remain together. I had heard the stories about his infamous cold heart and fiery temper, which lead me to believe that Legolas was more like his mother in his mannerisms.

Suddenly, a searing pain ruptured through my skull causing me to hiss and grab my head between my hands. Just as fast as it had come it was gone, leaving behind a dull ache in it's wake. I stood there, waiting to see whether it would come back, but it never did. I shook it off as nothing and turned to try to find something productive to do. Just as I had found Eowyn, a slight rumbling caught my attention. No one else seemed to hear it, but within a couple of minutes the rumbling grew louder and more defined. The women looked up towards the ceiling, their eyes growing wide with trepidation. No one needed to voice what was causing the noise, for we all knew. The feet of thousands upon thousands of grotesque Uruk Hai were pounding relentlessly above our heads. I knew what the women were thinking, and I knew that they had great reason to be afraid, for the looming threat of death was resting heavily on their minds and my own.

The sound of footsteps caught my attention but I made no sign of noticing the woman behind me.

"Andriel," Eowyns voice called out softly.

I turned slowly and looked towards the flaxen-haired woman. Worry was hidden heavily behind her eyes, but her face showed only calm determination.

"Come. There is nothing we can do except pray and keep the others' spirits up," she said as she reached a hand out towards me with a forced smile on her face. Her hand slightly shook as she held it out to me. I reached forward and took her hand in mine and gave it a reassuring squeeze.

For the next several hours, we tended to the women and children, along with the elderly that were not able to help in battle. I handed out blankets, reassured mothers, and sang songs and stories to little children long into the night until slowly the children would slip off into an exhausted sleep.

My mind, up until now, had been blessedly distracted; however, as soon as I was able to sit down with no one bothering me my mind turned back to what was going on above us. My ears picked up the rumbling of the battle, and my heart ached for every man losing his life. An old woman sitting in a corner started coughing. Her hacks shook her frail body so hard I was afraid she would topple right over. I grabbed my water skin and made my way hurriedly over to her side. I caught her just before she fell over and rubbed her back to try to help sooth her as I murmured to her in my native tongue. Slowly, her coughing ebbed away and she leaned heavily against me in fatigue. I uncorked the water and brought it up to her mouth, urging her to sip it slowly. Her shaking hands weakly gripped the water skin around my hand as she took small sips of the cool water. I recorked it and set it aside as I let my eyes wander her body. She was so small. Almost as small as a child it seemed. Her hair was thin and grey, not the beautiful silver of a well-nurtured noble woman. Her skin was wrinkled and had small brown and darkened spots from age all over her hands and face. She was dressed in nothing more than rags. Her dress was threadbare and patched in places, and the shawl wrapped around her shoulders and head was in no better condition.