Part Three - Chapter Thirteen: Bad News

Hearing the door slam, Eliana looked up from what she was doing in the kitchen and frowned wondering who it could be; she wiped her hands on her jeans before she padded out of the room. 

However, Eliana came to a stop at the sight of a frustrated husband making her wonder what was going on; she eyed him warily not remembering the last time she had seen him this annoyed.

"You're home early," Eliana commented not sure what was wrong with him and why he seemed to be taking out his frustrations on everything around them. 

Elsa was down for her nap and the last thing that Eliana wanted was for Cristiano to wake her up, she padded carefully over to her husband and rested a hand on his arm. 

"The doctor sent me home," Cristiano muttered with a shake of his head, there was a week until the Copa del Rey final and he couldn't believe what had happened; he should have seen it coming but it still hurt. 

Eliana nodded her head, he'd been having trouble with his knee recently and she was sure it would be fine if he would just rest; he played around sixty matches a year and sooner or later that was going to catch up to him. 

"Cris. What did the doctor say?" Eliana asked concerned, the doctor would have only sent him home if it was bad and she knew how much he had been hoping to play in the Copa del Rey final. 

Everything seemed to be going perfectly this year and Eliana hated to think how down this would get him, it had been a while since he had been injured enough to be left out of the team. 

Not saying anything for a moment Cristiano walked into the living room and sat down, he was trying to calm himself down before he snapped at Eliana; it wasn't her fault that this was happening to him. 

The injury was bound to happen sooner or later and Cristiano knew that it was the first sign that he was starting to get older; he was starting to think more about his life after his career was over.

"It's patellar tendinosis," Cristiano muttered annoyed as Eliana sat down next to him, he knew that he had to focus on getting better but it wasn't that easy; he wanted to help his team in any way that he could. 

Taking Cristiano's hand, Eliana nodded her head not completely sure what that meant; it made her worry just how much this was going to affect him. 

"It means I have an injury to the tendon connected to my kneecap to my shinbone," Cristiano said shaking his head, he couldn't believe this and he knew that if it wasn't sorted out then he would be missing out on more than the Copa del Rey final; there was already so much happening this year. 

"They're not letting me play the Copa del Rey final," Cristiano whispered shaking his head, he hated this and there were so many people counting on him right now; he didn't want to let anyone down. 

Eliana didn't say a word knowing that he needed her to listen more than anything else; she had a feeling that it was more serious than he liked to admit. 

"Why isn't anything going right?" Cristiano mumbled closing his eyes and leant back on the couch, he hated putting all this on Eliana but he knew she would understand. 

Things had been going so well but his personal life had become a bit of a mess recently and he was scared that it would only end with him getting hurt. 

"My mãe has cancer... my leg is screwed... and you..." Cristiano rambled before he came to a stop, he couldn't bring himself to even think about what would happen to Eliana. 

It was quiet for a moment and Eliana watched Cristiano for the first time seeing him actually scared about all of this.

"Me what?" Eliana asked softly, she wanted to know what he was thinking and they hadn't really talked about what their midwife had said about having a caesarean section; it was something that might not happen for certain. 

Cristiano opened his eyes and looked at Eliana, he hadn't wanted to freak her out but he needed to talk to her; he was frightened about her having the caesarean section. 

It was major surgery for anyone and it was not something that Cristiano wanted to take lightly, he had been doing a lot of research and he just couldn't face it if this went wrong. 

"I can't lose you Ana," Cristiano whimpered as tears filled his eyes, he watched her hating that he was dumping this on her now. 

Eliana wrapped her arms around him, she hadn't known that he had felt that way and she wished he had told her sooner; they still had a bit to go before their little boy was born. 

"Cris..." Eliana mumbled trying to ease his mind, she ran her fingers through his hair while he cuddled into her arms; she didn't know what would happen in the next couple of months of her pregnancy. 

At twenty weeks, they were about half way through their pregnancy and Eliana had a feeling that their little boy was going to continue to grow; he was certainly going to be a big boy. 

"It's going to be okay... the caesarean section will only happen if baby continues to grow at this rate," Eliana said trying to reassure him, she kissed his cheek wanting nothing more than to ease his mind; she hated that this was bothering him so much. 

Cristiano closed his eyes and held Eliana close, he kissed her lips knowing that he would do anything to make sure her and their little boy had the best treatment possible. 

The couple were silent knowing that they would be okay, they just had to keep their hopes up and their midwife was sure to make sure everything went well.

***

Holding Elsa in his arms, Cristiano kissed the top of her head and hoped that everything would work out fine; his knee ached a little and he knew that the doctor wanted him to rest for a little while. It wasn't something that he had ever liked doing, 

Cristiano had always been active and he wished that he could do something about his injury without making it worse. 

"Papa," Elsa squeaked patting Cristiano's face when he wasn't paying attention to her, she pouted a little making him smile and he wondered how she would react to having a baby brother. 

It wasn't long until the baby was due and Cristiano was hopeful that he would be able to be there when the baby was born, he didn't want Eliana going through this alone without him. 

"You're going to be an amazing big sister... I am sure your baby brother will adore you," Cristiano whispered to her, he kissed her keep knowing that he couldn't wait to welcome his son into the world; he had even started to think about names. 

There were a couple that he liked but he knew that there was a lot of time for them to think about names, Cristiano peeked over at Eliana and smiled; it would be a wonderful time and he just hoped it ended well. 

"Papa," Elsa whined batting at his chest, he caught her hand and gave her a stern look; he didn't want her picking up bad habits that she would use against her baby brother. 

Eliana watched him scold Elsa gently, she was glad to see he was sticking firm with her and she knew that Elsa was still very much a daddy's girl. 

Brushing a hand against her stomach, Eliana couldn't help but wonder what her little boy would look like; she wondered if he would look like Cristiano since Elsa was a miniature version of her. 

It made the wait for the little boy even more exciting.

###

Author's Note:

Happy 31st Birthday Cristiano x