Chapter 7 - Meet The Boss

"There is no way."

"I get it, sir. That's the seventh time you've said that. For Pete's sake will you let me at least try and explain?"

"What is there to explain when my answer is already no?"

Nathan's hands slammed down from the sides of his head against the kitchen table, a groan escaping his lips as he did so.

This back and forth had been going on for almost half an hour and neither side seemed to be backing down. While his father stayed more calm and collected hoping to tire his son into giving up, it only fueled Nathan's anger and made him more determined to get his way.

Rarely did his father ever seem to agree to see his side, normally he silenced him when he even asked for a favour and made him "figure it out for himself". He wanted to teach his son how to be independent, even if that meant seemingly abandoning him and any chance he had at actually acting like a father figure.

"If she wants to solve the case why don't you send her out with David?"

Nathan cringed. Of course, he should have known his father was going to bring him up. David; the star brother. The police chief. He however, had been granted the glory of working his way up to his position. Nathan had just been tossed his detective job and forced to take it. Ever since then, David had been seen as the glory son. The one who had gone to school, graduated with honors and who had worked his way to the top of his field in no time. Nathan, of course, was shoved a job that his father needed to fill and pushed behind the camera instead of in front of it. He liked to think that his father couldn't afford to send him to college, since he was supporting the two on his own, and gave Nathan the oh-so important task of "paper filer" since he blew all their savings on his first born. But, at the end of the day, it was just a hunch. But, considering his field, Nathan's hunches were more-often-than-not correct.

"You don't get it."

"Clearly I don't." He sighed, setting his glass of water against his kitchen dining table. "Frankly, I wouldn't bother explaining it to me if I were you. If I don't get something," He chuckled. "Then I don't get it. My mind's made up."

"You haven't listened to anything I've said yet." He growled, clenching his fists against the surface. How did his father dare to ponder why Nathan wanted to move out of this town so badly? Considering he was badgering him with how useless his words were, Nathan couldn't see a logical reason to stay. The only reason he hadn't left yet was because he wanted to make sure he had everything organized for a move; a location, a job, a savings account, a movers truck. He wanted it all to be ready so in one swift day he could get the hell out of there and never look back. So long father. So long old life.

His father sighed, rubbing his temples in irritation rather than exhaustion which Nathan was silently hoping. If his father ever got tired he gave up on whatever he was doing. Nathan could only hope that was what was happening now, but his father never seemed to get tired when arguing with him. He only got irritated by his son's stubbornness.

"Because what's the point in listening if my mind is already made up?"

"To listen to what I'm then going to do behind your back so you can find a way to stop me with ease?" He spat back, a small smirk crossing his lips before washing away as his father swirled around to face him.

"Pardon you?"

Nathan gave a mental eye roll before resuming. "I mean it when I say that this will benefit the company. If you refuse to let me go through with it then I'll find a way through the cracks and do it without you." He chuckled. "Then get applauded and congratulated when it works out perfectly as planned."