Chapter 17 - Meet The Proof

It didn't seem to matter what happened the night before. The feeling of comfort wrapped around her would have given her the same reaction. The warm sensation lacing her body, the gentle, calming breaths swirling around her; in the end it all made her feel the exact same.

Like she was home.

The ringing of the phone, however, seemed to snap her out of it.

Hazel's eyes opened, the glassy orbs dripping with sleep glazing over every surface she could spot. A TV, the coffee table, the portraits hanging against the walls. A living room. She was in a living room.

Her head dipped, falling into something warm. Whatever she had been lying on shifted. Feeling so, the brunette attempted to stand, getting ready to push herself off of the couch and stretch out the kinks she felt in her muscles, but something strong stopped her. Something she hadn't been expecting.

Her eyes turned to her side and looked up, her body curving forwards into whatever she had fallen asleep against. Or rather, who she had fallen asleep into.

It took a instant beat of her heart to see Nathan's peaceful, resting face looming just over her. The gentle breaths escaping his mouth brushing against the front of her scalp, causing the stray hairs to quiver.

All the kinks in her body melted.

Nathan had slept with her. Well. Slept with her. In the literal sense. If it had been figurative, a lot more would be happening rather than a beat red face and a bubbling speech box.

She was just about to speak, say something, do something, until another ring from the phone snapped her head to glance in that direction.

The phone. Maybe that was her salvation. A way to escape her flustered, fumbling speech and regain composure before the male awoke.

It wasn't like she hated it. That's what her mind was murmuring as she stumbled towards the landline. She didn't. It was one of the best sleeps she had had in ages. But she wasn't sure how to react from this point onwards. Was Nathan aware of this? How would he react when he woke up? Did she just make everything awkward and uncomfortable?

So many questions were swirling in her mind that as she mumbled a greeting to whoever was on the other line, she could hardly hear them state who they were. She stood silently, her eyes squinting at the notepad resting beside the device's charging station. "I-I'm sorry?" She mumbled softly. She couldn't tell if she was just nervous or if it was the grogginess as to why she's was having trouble remaining focused.

There was still, sarcastic silence on the other end until a voice finally sighed. "Ms. Daniels?"

She blinked, her auburn orbs dancing around the stand searching for a familiarity in his voice. "Yes?" She drew out the sound on the 'y', hoping to buy herself time. Nothing.

The male sighed again. "This is Doctor Richards calling. About my client, Vic Gates? This is the right number, correct?" Her eyes widened. "I don't have all day to do this."

She could feel her cheeks flare with embarrassment and a pinch of annoyance. He made the choice to call her, after all. She bit down on her cheek holding back a frustrated sigh. "Yes, that's me. I apologize, Doctor."

Frustrated silence. But through the blaring irritation she could hear the flipping of pages and whistles from his nose. "Well, I have the answers to the questions you asked earlier,"

"Yes?" Maybe she sounded a little too anxious as there was a stunned pause at the other end.

"Well," He breathed again, a grunt working its way up in the back of his throat. "If I must be honest, I don't know where you received your facts from."