Chapter 25 - Meet Home

Nathan rubbed his eyes, slowly emerging from the bedroom the duo had shared for so long. The room whose company had somehow started to feel normal. The company he wished never needed to end.

He smiled to himself and glanced up, eyes snagging on the female that stood before him in his kitchen.

Her hair was swirled into a braid, resting against one side of her chest. It was messy - as she had done it before she went to sleep - but she was too occupied to want to take it out. She wore light pink pajama shorts, the lace ends brushing against her thighs as she shuffled around. It was topped with a loose white v-neck with Nathan's large apron thrown overtop, hanging off of her body in it's normal large fashion.

Hearing the squeaking of the door and the shuffling of feet, Hazel's brown eyes flickered up, brightening upon spotting her other half. "Morning!" She chirped, holding the spatula closer to her chest in glee at him finally awakening. His presence seemed to brighten her day more than anything ever could.

Nathan smiled. Before she had said a single word he felt himself grin.

"I'm making pancakes, is that okay?"

Nathan chuckled, walking towards her and sliding by, a hand brushing against her waist. "That sounds wonderful."

Hazel smiled sweetly, watching him pour himself a cup of coffee as she returned to the stove, flipping the last of the pancakes and allowing them to cook.

Just as Nathan cracked open the fridge to grab the cream, Hazel set the remainder of their breakfast on a plate and brought it to the already-set table.

"How long were you up cooking?" The male asked, leaning against the table beside her as she undid her apron.

"Not long. I woke up and decided to keep myself busy."

He smiled down at her, lifting the apron from her hands and taking it into his arms. "It's appreciated."

The two smiled at each other, grinning helplessly at the adoration the other had for them.

It was broken, only temporarily, when the phone rang.

"I'll get it." Hazel called, Nathan wandering to put away the apron she had worn. She seemed to wear it more than he ever did. The moment she lifted the phone to her ear, she had hardly gotten the word "hello" out of her mouth before the information came firing at her.

"Hello, I'm calling to inform Mr. Summers's residence about the set date of the Sinclair trial?"

Hazel stopped, feeling her heart sink.

"What is it?"

"It's to be on Thursday the 16th."

Hazel sputtered, coughing in surprise. "Two weeks?"

There was a slight sigh from the other end but the brunette paid no notice. "Yes, many factors added up to getting the trial done as quickly as possible. Luckily for us that means it's to be in two weeks."

Hazel stood silent, mouth open in awe.

"Thank you for your time. Have a good day." Clearly irritated, the male hung up.

Hazel slowly set the phone back down and stared at it resting in its holder. Silent. Not shaken at the information it had given to her moments before.

"Hazel?"

She turned, eyes on the ground but chest facing, and hesitantly spoke. "Sinclair's trial." She swallowed with difficulty. "It's set for two weeks from now."

"Really?" He said softly, sliding out of his seat as her shock sank into his bones. Her pain hit his skin, slowly entering his system.

"Yeah, really."