Chapter 15 - Meet The Boss

Hazel, as Nathan had assumed, made a big deal about not wanting to move too many things into his apartment. She had mumbled on the drive over the next morning about not wanted to "clog up his house" with too many of her own belongings. But really, that's what Nathan loved. It would feel like a real home if more than just his things remained there. The little knick-knacks scattered around her home were a part of what made her place seemed so lived in. So real and raw. That's what he wanted his home to be like.

"Please, take as much as you want with you."

"I don't want to make a mess." She mumbled softly, pushing a half-full box of clothes out of her room and into the living area, now searching to fill it with any objects she wished to bring.

"I have too much room. Please, bring whatever you want."

Hazel stopped, turning from where she had gathered framed photos in her arms to stare down the male leaning against her couch. She studied him quickly, a quick glance up and down, before hugging her pictures closer. "Really?"

He gently chuckled. From anyone else Hazel would feel like it was one of mockery, but with Nathan she knew it was of sincerity. "Of course, I want you to feel at home."

Hazel smiled, more to herself than to anyone as she gleefully chewed on her bottom lip, trotting around the room and gathering what she wished to take in her arms. Still, knowing Hazel, Nathan knew regardless of anything he said she wasn't going to bring a lot. He was fine with that. If she brought enough over that she felt comfortable with, then that would be perfect. At the end of the day he only wanted to make her happy and comfortable.

Loading up an arm with a bag of cat supplies, Nathan started down to his car, opening doors for Hazel all the way down. Lily rested peacefully in his free arm, staring at Nathan in confusion whenever he moved in a way that disturbed her. After being set down in the backseat of his car, she remained silent and - seemingly - content.

Nathan popped open his trunk, swiftly setting down the objects he was carrying and scurrying to the brunette's side to help her with hers. His arms guided themselves along her own, gently lifting the box from her aching limbs and sliding it away. She gave a weak and thankful grin, adjusting her hair awkwardly before turning into the passenger seat. It didn't take long until he joined her, smiling thankfully over her.

"I think after we drop this off we should go and interrogate the two let into the scene."

Hazel's recently-flustered cheeks faded, her mind turning away from the genuine look he had gazed at her with and instead fixated back onto their tasks at hand. "You mean,"

"Gates and Sinclair."

Hazel nodded. "Yeah, I agree. It's the next best step."

Nathan gave a quick glance over before the light flickered back to green and he resumed down the street. "I think it should go smoothly."

"If they have nothing to hide."

"Well if they do have something to hide, then we have a really good lead. Think of it that way."

Hazel gave a small smile, nodding more to herself than anybody. "True."

The rest of their car ride was filled with peaceful silence. Normally, whenever a room remained still, Hazel felt a bundle of nerves rise in her chest, smacking her cheeks and ears telling her to escape. But with Nathan, it never felt awkward or uncomfortable. It was natural. It was a time for them to think; maybe even regroup. It was their minds resting, because Lord knows that when they slept their minds didn't take a break. Only their bodies.

Stepping out of the car into Nathan's apartment parking lot, Hazel side-stepped and lifted Lily into her arms from the back seat, trading with Nathan and carrying all of her cat supplies. He willingly slipped into the trunk and snagged her box of things before snapping it closed.