Chapter 28 - Meet Family

It was likely that had his arm not been linked through hers she would have collapsed onto the floor the moment she stepped in.

Immediately she was hit with the scents of flowers, perfume and fresh packets of fluffy tissues. On normal circumstances she would have gagged, but she felt too numb to fully allow her senses to kick in.

She could hardly feel her feet touch the floor, her quaint and short back heels sinking into the crimson carpet. Her dress was one she had purchased only a few days ago; special for the occasion despite how sickening it sounded. It was a black dress that brushed against her knees, a sweetheart neckline gracing her chest. The sleeves, smoother and made of cotton, dipped down to her elbows and hugged her arms sweetly in their embrace. She had tied her chocolatey hair into a bun sitting at the back of her head, letting a few strands of her bangs loose to fall to the front of her face. The way her parents loved. They always complimented it when she wore it like that.

The thought itself made her want to fall over. Thankfully, her weight landed against Nathan's side, holding her upright.

"Ready?" He asked softly, turning every ounce of his attention to her, fixating on the way she stood. The way her fingers fiddled with the sleeves of his suit jacket. The way her eyes darted all around the room but avoided the very front.

She gave a shaky breath, her eyes staring at the floor she had yet to conquer. Just a few steps closer to the people she loved so dearly. Their eternal resting place. Their new home without her.

She could tell they were getting closer to the front. The air seemed to get thicker with each step. Each step closer caused her lungs to contract, her palms to ball their own sets of tears and for her legs to grow more and more numb. Each step closer was another step she couldn't take back.

Hazel could feel Nathan's fingers brushing against her arm, rubbing in soothing circles as they walked to their seats. Clearly he could sense the condition she felt her body was falling into. While sweet and calming, it served as a gentle reminder that he was still beside her. She wasn't battling this alone anymore. She had him.

But, as the air turned cotton, her chin turned upwards and stared upon them.

Two urns sat pleasantly on two separate tables. Each with their own sets of bouquets and pictures. In the centre of the two sat their wedding photo, a blissful picture of the duo laughing.

"It was an accidental photo," Hazel remembered her mother had said. "But we loved it so much we kept it anyway. We think it really captures who we are." Her mother had laughed. "Accidental things are the best way to see who people really are. It's more authentic."

Oh how right she was.

"Ready to go sit down?" She could feel the tenderness in Nathan's voice as if it was a physical touch. He was so calm and softly spoken, so gentle in each of his words somehow.

Without saying a word, she nodded, and Nathan swept his arm around her and gingerly walked her to their seats at the front. Front row, inner corner. Dead centre.

Hazel could feel people whisking by and whispering soft hellos and greetings, but she couldn't seem to take her eyes off of the sight before her. The sight of her parents ready to be buried side by side.

A part of her always hoped they would grow to outlive her so she wouldn't need to see the day they passed. They had given her life and they taught her and they pushed her onto better paths. They made her who she was. Now that they were gone, who was she going to become?

She no longer had guidance.

Her family was broken.

"Good morning, everyone."