Chapter 27 - Meet Arrangements

It was calling her. She could hear it as she stood outside in the hallway waiting for Nathan to unlock the door.

Once open she sauntered into the room and flopped against the sweet comfort of couch cushions, allowing them to suck her into a sweet embrace of warmth and relaxation. Her head fell against the arm of the couch sleepily, in an attempt to relax the raging nerves that were flooding every muscle and cell in her body.

Nathan gave a gentle sigh, tossing his keys into the bowl by his door before removing his shoes and rubbing his wrists in irritation. He made his way towards the kitchen, hoping something to eat or drink could calm the fire in his stomach.

That asshole.

What was Sinclair thinking trying to leap out of his chains?

Nathan and Hazel had sat in the courtroom for what felt like ages after everyone had left. He could remember a specific moment; the moment that made his eyes swell with rage and fade with agony at the same time.

He was adjusting himself while holding Hazel in his grasp, getting himself more comfortable in the wooden courtroom benches when he felt a gasp emerge from the female before him. Her hands had clutched tighter to his jacket, her head dug deeper into his neck and chest.

"Don't." She had breathed softly, a whimper working it's way up in her throat.

He stared at her, bewildered in heartbreak as his body shielded her. "Hey, I'm not going anywhere." He had cooed, placing a hand at the back of her head, assuring her that he was the barrier between her and Sinclair dare he return. It wasn't until individuals of the next group began to filter in did Hazel grip his hand and ask to be led out.

The ride home she refused to make eye contact with him and instead stared blindly out the window. Yet nothing registered in her mind. It passed through her like a breeze; meaningless.

Now, here they were at home. Her sprawled out on the couch, her arm covering her eyes and tear-stained cheeks, and him sauntering to the kitchen.

The sight broke his heart.

He knew she was embarrassed. She always was after a breakdown of some sort. She always got shy and ignored him for a while. He understood. He didn't like it, but he understood. At least as best as he could.

He chewed on his lower lip, watching as her self-loathing rolled around once more. He hated watching her whenever it did. His hand removed itself from the cupboard he was reaching for, instead making his way closer to his love on the couch.

He kneeled down, arms resting on the edge of the cushions. "Haz," He breathed softly, watching her arm shift nervously. "Are you doing okay?"

Her arm slowly moved, exposing the closed eyes that hid behind them. The tears on her cheeks had dried, leaving behind rubbed-at trails from where they had once travelled. "I'm just stressed." She sighed as she moved her hands to rest against her stomach.

Nathan took a seat on the floor, facing her so he could get a better look as he spoke. Her legs extended under their coffee table but his eyes remained solely on her.

She was quiet, her voice dancing on whether or not to speak. "That was awful."

"I know, I know," He hushed, hearing the emotion in her voice as she spoke. It didn't sound as heartsick or glum as before. Rather, it sounded defeated. As if the mere thought of the case just made her want to sleep. Really, he couldn't blame her. After a while of working on a case it got to be that way. "But it's okay because it's over. He's done, he's locked away."

She gave a slight nod, as much as she could lying down. "Yeah,"

Nathan nodded in response, his heart feeling sick just watching the way she beat herself up. Hopefully, now that it was put to rest, she could started the healing process. All that was left on her plate was this funeral. That could kick start the closure she needed to move on from the tragedy that wracked her life and mind for so long.