Chapter 24 - Meet Us

His father coughed, taking a napkin and wiping it against the sides of his mouth, drawing out the silence between them.

"While that might be true, it doesn't add much to your case."

Nathan raised an eyebrow hesitantly, not daring to look over at his partner. He didn't want to see the nerves wracking her. He needed to stay calm for her. "What do you mean?"

His father raised an eyebrow turning his attention to the lady at his side. "On her first case she was hospitalized. You want to hire her full time?"

Nathan suppressed the groan in his throat. "That wasn't her fault. It wasn't her fault she was sent in there alone." He hesitated, watching his father's skepticism grow. "I wouldn't let that happen to her again."

His father's eyes widened, catching Nathan by surprise. He seemed genuinely shocked by said statement. The deliberation of protection he swore to her. Regardless, his father crossed his arms.

"She hasn't been trained."

"We can get her trained. Hell, I can train her myself." He protested back, planting his fingers against the edge of the table and squeezing it in anger. He was so desperately searching for any excuse to turn her away.

His father closed his eyes, shaking his head. "You don't seem to understand my point."

"I don't, clearly." He spat back. "Care to explain?"

His father squeezed his knuckles, a faint crack entering the air around them. "She isn't equipped to handle this job."

Nathan sighed, throwing his head back and crossing his arms. "I already told you, we can--"

"No, listen to me." His father demanded, voice booming with emphasis on his rejection. "She isn't equipped. Look at her."

All eyes shifted to Hazel.

She froze.

"She's tiny. She's too thin and frail. She's weak and nervous and shy. She got severally injured on her first mission with us and was emotionally unstable the entirety of her time on duty. Do you seriously expect me to hire her on command?"

"Sir..." Nathan's voice was low and growly. Like a cat ready to pounce.

"No! She isn't the type of person we're looking for. She won't amount to anything in our agency. She isn't our type. To us, she is useless." As he spoke his voice grow louder and louder, filled with more and more rage. His son wasn't listening; was protesting against him. Just he was doing to him. Neither of them were flinching, both frustrated in the idea that the other wouldn't budge. Wouldn't open up their ears and listen.

Hazel glanced down at her food, dessert sitting before her. Untouched. Waiting. Her finger inched forwards and gingerly pushed the plate away. A distraction, if ever so slight, to take her away from the agony of listening to them argue about her presence.

"Hey! You--" Nathan stood, but it didn't stop there. Mr. Summers stood to match him.

"Other jobs are equipped for her but not us. We don't work with her! It's impossible to make it work. Get that through your skull."

"Father!"

The yell was so loud Hazel could swear it rang out the windows. Down the streets. Down the alleyways.

Suddenly, this was about more than just their partnership. It was about a father and a son. Never flinching. Never knowing. Never listening.

He took a steady breath, somehow not shaken by the snap he gave. "Hazel is my favourite person in the world to spend time with."