Chapter 18 - Meet The Perp

"Are you sure you're ready for this?"

No. "Yes." She could feel her hand quiver as the lie escaped her lips. Despite trying to put on her brave front for her partner, deep down she knew it wasn't worth it. She wasn't doing anything to help her case by allowing her hands to quake in her lap.

The fact was she was terrified. What was to happen just outside of the city, she didn't know. Typically, an old abandoned building as a meeting spot never went over well with police officers and hostages alike. But whoever this was, whoever had created this mess, had to be behind the death of her parents. Coming face to face with them was probably the most terrifying thought of all.

Hazel was so lost in her thoughts she could hardly feel the shuffling beside her. It wasn't until a warm hand clasped her own that she turned and watched Nathan's still expression as he drove, a loving squeeze against her hand as he drove steadily behind the officers before them.

She wanted to speak, but her mouth gaped open and remained silent.

"This'll be okay. We've hit the end of the line here. Whatever happens, this will lead to something good."

"Answers?"

He hesitated, squinting and fixating his eyes on the road before answering. "Yeah, something like that." His voice was breathy and soft. Quiet. His hand removed itself from hers and placed itself back on the steering wheel. The brunette couldn't help but feel cool air hit the skin he once held. A part of her felt a little lonelier, despite him being right next to her.

The connection that they had as partners was more than real. They both knew that. Now, the last thing they needed to do as a team was end this. Right now, that seemed to be exactly what they were doing.

As they pulled up just behind David's police vehicle, everyone was running around frantically to set up. Only three vehicles besides Nathan's convertible were there, and the officers inside each removed themselves and grabbed guns, aiming them perfectly at the front doors of the rickety building.

"Okay, everyone, we know the drill." David commanded, patting an officer on the back and adjusting his coat. "We just--"

A hum and a ring stopped him mid-sentence. He turned around, staring back at his police vehicle, one of the station issued cell phones ringing against the hood of his car. Rarely did they ever go off. This phone in specific was destined so calls from the station could be forwarded when they were on the field. Whoever, or whatever was calling was important.

He reached forwards snagging it and flipping it open, slamming down the speaker button and waving the duo closer, as well as the other officers looming who weren't positioned at the doorway.

"It's nice to see that you could make it."

Hazel could see David grit his teeth, the warbled voice dancing on the last of his nerves. She squeezed her hands together unsurely. Whoever this was was watching them from inside. A daunting thought considering they could very well be a murderer.

"While it's wonderful that so many of you could arrive, I'm afraid we have a problem."

Silence. No one dared to speak. Instead they soaked up every detail of his words.

"Only the girl is allowed to enter. The brunette."

Hazel stood, glancing around the lot, hoping and praying. But as she scanned the female officers in the vicinity, they all lacked what she had.

She was the only brunette.

"Why?" Nathan asked bitterly to the device, the officers nearby glanced up in skepticism at his outburst.