1. The Maiden Teacher

Chapter 1 : The Maiden Teacher

Pie Mindara Manaying

I wasn't always mean but doing a 'surprise' quiz would always be my favourite. It was fifteen minutes before the lunch break when I decided to do one. The reactions from the students were priceless; I loved to see them panic. I knew it well; nobody really loved quizzes but then honey that was a norm as a student. The fifteen minutes felt like forever as the students were too engrossed with their sheets, answering the questions provided carefully that you could have heard a pin drop. I brushed my gaze to each of the children briefly. To my interest, I caught several of expressions which could make me burst out laughing. A few of them seemed composed and steady as they answered the questions, some held their gazes on me as if the answers were written all over my face; which I presumed they looked at me for some inspiration while the rest seemed nonchalant with the surrounding as they kept writing down every piece of their thought on the sheet. I have never made the questions easy. They were all in subjective forms which required the students to compose their own words based on their understanding. Again, I wasn't a mean teacher. It was just my kind of bench mark to monitor the students' understanding on the subject.

The bell rang, indicated that their time was up. I heard most of them grunted as they put down their pens. Knowing my way of conducting the class, each of them began to rise from their seats and walked to the front of the class where I was waiting. They handed in their sheets before they left for the lunch break. The last person who handed in the quiz sheet was Michael, the naughtiest boy in the class. He scowled long as I took the paper from him.

"How's the test?" I asked even though it was obviously he has showed it to me how unhappy he was with his performance.

"Don't ask me anything, teacher." He looked up to me and shook his head quickly. I nodded at him, trying to stifle a laugh as I watched him left the class sighing loudly to his disappointment. Once his figure was nowhere to be seen, I took out his sheet and have a brief check on it. He barely answered anything, leaving almost of the blank spaces clean and unanswered. I guessed I have just given the bad boy a lesson today; never played around in Pie Mindara's class.

Soon after, a familiar figure walked briskly into my classroom, greeting me with her wicked smile. She took a glance to the pile of sheets in my hand before she spoke to me, "Surprise quiz again?" Her eyebrow arched into her significant sarcastic remark.

"Why asking the obvious?" I ignored her and began to assemble my stuffs.

"I don't understand why you still get a lot of presents on Teacher's Day and be one of the most favourite teachers in the school. As far as I have gone through my old days at school, students hate teacher who love to burden them with difficult test." She complained as she grabbed one of the sheets from the stack which I have arranged. She scrutinized the content of the sheet to its details before she placed it back to the stack and grunted softly. "I pitied the children. You're one wicked teacher." She muttered, over and over using the same adjective to describe me.

"Yes, I know it." I nodded at her. "Perhaps you should find me a flying broom. It's such an honour for me to be crowned as the Wicked Teacher of the West" I told her. Fern didn't even laugh for my intended humour. You can boo me for the reason I failed to make it as a joke. She rolled her eyes to me and silently made the 'HAHA' remark, expressing how 'funny' it was to her. She was too mean.

"How can I explain it to you, Mrs. Maurer?" I pretended that I was pondering something. "Perhaps, I am the fairest teacher of all. No one can hate a hot teacher." I told her and couldn't help myself from not laughing when my companion shot me a disbelief look. This time, she got affected by my brag.