25. All Fun and Games

Chapter 25: All Fun and Games

Kimhan Burnaphan

It felt odd not to have Pie around. She was just gone for like a few days but I craved her presence badly. She's a little madness but I adored her for anything else; that cute smiley eyes, those pouted lips when she's sulking and those rolling eyes when she got annoyed, I would not get it from anybody else. Sometimes I found it amusing how this unwanted marriage could also bring me some sort of happiness. Well perhaps, Pie was not that bad at all. She was just broken, messed up and maybe she had that anger issue which had not yet subsided. She was just upset that her plan did not turn out well. Someday she would get over it. Someday she would.

Pie called me just now, informing that she might not be able to go back for the weekend. The examination's just around the corner and she told me that she has some works to be done. Speaking of her teaching career made me thinking about that Headmaster. The one they called P'Van who ended up breaking my girl's heart. Pie was trying so hard to replace me by looking for a good gentleman yet again; she fell for a wrong person. Maybe we could shake it off by now. It did not even matter because I knew Pie would not mess up with any family. She's not a home wrecker.

The only better thing about Pie's absence was that, I was able to be alone with Yam. There was an unsettling business between us two. I needed to figure out something that she hid from all of us. I knew she did not tell the whole truth about what had happened to her when the report was made. This would be the nth attempts I made to talk to Yam with the hope that she would at least responding. It pained me to see her in that condition; most of the time Yam would act like as if she had lost her mind. I could not bear seeing she cried her eyes out for the thing that can never return. It happened and she has to go through it.

"Yam, you know I can't help you much if you continuously behaving this way." It felt like I was talking to none and it just disappeared with the wind.

"What's your relationship with Pie, Kim?" I was not expecting that she would throw me that kind of question. I was dumbfounded but managed to play it cool. Maybe this was what Pie has been talking about. Yam had slowly sniffed the secret.

"I would consider myself as her guardian. He grandfather trusted me to take care of her while she's here." I told Yam but she seemed not to buy it. Instead she let out a sarcastic scoff and smiled to herself.

"Do you think I would believe that, Kim? Pie is not a child anymore. Why would she need a guardian? Who do you think you are? A guardian angel?" She said. There was a jealousy tone in her voice. She was insecure.

"Yam, listen up. I owed a lot from her family. They helped me when my mother was sick and right now I'm just returning the favour." Yam seemed taken aback with that statement. She only learned that my mother had passed away when she returned here.

"You like her don't you?" She queried again.

"I spent a lot of time with Pie and we're just comfortable with each other I think."

"And that's the reason why you never look out for me while I was missing?" She sputtered. Anger and disappointment filled her eyes. The look she threw burrowed into my head, into my chest and into all of me, accusing.

"How could you say that? I tried everything to look out for you. Aunty Inn even made a police report on your missing and we just could not locate you." I found myself trembling with a suppressed emotion.

"You were distracted, Kim. You could have found me earlier if Pie wasn't around." She said and left me frustrated.

"Are you trying to put the blame on everyone now?" It was just about time before I lost my temper. "Pie has nothing to do with what's happening with you and never relate even a word again with her."