3. The White Veil Occasion

Chapter 3: The White Veil Occasion

Pie Mindara Manaying

The 'most awaited' day has finally arrived. I was almost done; garbed in a white wedding gown laced with gold. I sat in the room, feeling like a human doll as the helpers did my makeup, done my hair and did everything they ought it was necessarily. I stared at my reflection in the mirror. It did not surprise me that I looked extremely not happy. I was not. I remembered the day I gave the invitation cards to my colleagues. They were all surprised with it; most have never expected that I was going to get married too soon but I did not even care that much with their reaction. What mattered to was Fern's. She was really disappointed with me; so frustrated with my decision that she refused to talk to me for the rest of the week. As much as I felt sad because of her cold treatment, I could not blame her to behave in such way. She has warned me about the matter and it was clear to me that she was not in favour with what had I done. I made her upset. However, would it sound too wrong if I wished she would come today? I just wanted her to be here and support me even though she disliked all of this. Her presence was all I need to ease my feeling.

The knocks on the door caught everybody's attention. I did not bother to have a look. One of the helpers got the door and I heard she welcomed someone in. Glancing over my shoulder, I saw Fern walked to my direction. A smile crept on my lips involuntary. She came. "Hello there, gorgeous bride." She smiled and did not seem mad at me now. I managed to check her out all over. She had her pink pastel dress which hung on her frame perfectly. It wrapped around her frame, pointing out her stunning figure. She has and always been more beautiful than me, I think.

"I thought you wouldn't want to come." I pouted, welcoming her into a hug when she reached me. Fern placed herself in my arms momentarily before she pulled back and scanned me all over. There was something in her eyes I could never describe. Perhaps she was happy but it looked sad at the same time.

"I was thinking of not going at all but Mario convinced me to come." She was brutally honest. Realizing that I was a bit offended with her statement, Fern began to speak again. "And it dawn on me that I should not miss your big day too. You're my best friend after all." She squeezed my arm lightly as if she was trying to give me some sort of encouragement.

"Thank you." I told her.

"You know that I have always disagreed with what you're doing." She began. I whipped my head to her direction to listen to the rest of her thought. "Nevertheless, I want you to know that I have always wished you the best. It will take me forever to brood about the consequences of your action and I was being optimistic that perhaps there is a better thing yet to come to your life." Fern seemed sincere with her words. Somehow, the things that she told me were everything I ever needed. I was all messed up the whole week and it tortured me when I got no one to talk to. I was lost and I was empty. Crying would not mean to calm me anymore. Weeping all the nights would not solve my problem. I admitted that I was more than selfish until it drawn me to be so dumb. I could have just go for the rural teaching placement and survive there without having to burden myself with such foolish arrangement, instead, here I was, waiting to be bound to a stranger which soon to be my spouse.

"Honestly I'm scared." I blurted out. Fern did not seem startled by it, instead she nodded knowingly.

"You should." She tapped on my shoulder. "I'm expecting you feel that way since the very beginning." Fern said. "Anyway, I can't wait to see the bridegroom." She squealed like an excited teenager. That somehow changed the entire mood in the room. I burst out laughing to witness her attitude. She did not change too much even though she's married.

"Well, you can go and get your seat now." I pushed her lightly. "I will be there soon." That was right. P'Boy told me that I should get prepared in thirty minutes and now I got like ten minutes left.