29. Stuck

Chapter 29: Stuck

Mindara Manaying

*Flash back*

"I want to quit teaching." I told Fern the matter that I have been rehearsing along the way here.

"Are you nuts? Why? What happened?" Fern freaked out, almost losing her head upon hearing me.

"I just can't do it anymore. Sometimes it feels like I lost interest in everything."

"Are you depressed? Or did you have fight with Kimhan? You have marriage crisis?" Fern was desperately impatient.

"No. I'm all good."

"Then why? This is your passion, Pie. What you gonna do if you quit?" I wasn't sure for how many countless time Fern had sighed but I guessed she would be running out of oxygen soon if she did it too often.

"I'm not sure yet. Maybe I'll take over my family business. Grandpa is rich enough though." I shrugged.

"The last time I let you do this kind of dumb shit, you ended up suffering with your so called marriage until now, Pie. And now you're expecting me to say OKAY for what you have decided? What if you regret your decision some day?" Fern was upset. I could hear it from her tone. She was afraid, frightened at the thought that I could ruin my future ever again. She pledged that she wouldn't let me make the same mistake.

"My life is already a mess, you know that too well."

"I don't want to hurt your feeling or whatnot...I just think that if you didn't end up marrying Kimhan, your life wouldn't turn out like this." Fern has been bottling up so many things since the beginning. I knew it. I just pretended that she didn't have any issue regarding my marriage with Kimhan.

"It's my fault anyway and I have to accept the consequences."

"Does Kimhan know about this?" Fern asked, countering what she had said to me earlier.

"Not yet. I'll tell her soon. I'm heading back to her place in a day or two." I have been planning to discuss with Kimhan about my decision. For once, I thought she deserved to know what's happening with my life.

"So, do you still want to keep her?" Fern asked all of sudden. "I mean you want to change your career and all, do you think you want to advance your relationship with her?"

"I don't know. I haven't talk to her in a while." It struck me when I realized that I almost lost my connection with her.

"Pie, what is wrong with you two? You better get this thing figure out. Whatever you decided today will determine your future. Don't tell me that I didn't warn you." Fern reminded.

*****

CURRENT DAY

"Ms. Mindara, these are the articles for you to review. They are for next month's issue." The secretary informed, placing a stack of papers on top of my desk. It felt like I wanted to puke to see those kinds of documents all over again. Sometimes it could be dry and bored but some other time it would just as fun as the wild gossips.

"What about the schedule for today?" I queried, not even bother to look at her. Oom, a loyal secretary of mine for the past 5 years is the one who's still standing by my side even though some might have left the company because of me. What about me? I owned this company.