7. Lost

Chapter 7: Lost

Pie Mindara Manaying

The doorbell rang more than once and I didn't bother to check who was at the door. There would be no other person rather than the clumsy Kimhan Jittaleela who happened not to bring the key with her. Considering that it was still early in the evening, I have decided to let her stay outside for awhile. Kimhan should learn her lesson. She should have known that I wasn't home just to wait for her return after she had gone for the whole day to where I care. She wasn't here every time I woke up in the morning and she rarely come home before I went to bed. Always missing in action, I didn't even know what she was doing while she was out. Going to her girlfriend's place, spending the entire day with the remaining money which I have given to her maybe? She could have all of them to enjoy her life while her problem of paying debt for her mother's treatment had been resolved. Meanwhile I was stuck here, brooding about what would come to me when I return to school next Monday. The thing between us didn't seem to be a win-win situation anymore. Kimhan got a lot more benefits than me and it obviously wasn't fair.

The ringing doorbell wasn't heard anymore but now, it has been replaced with loud knocks on the door. Pissed off, I rose to my feet and stormed my way to the main entrance of this house. The thing that came to me once I opened the door was one I hadn't expected at all.

"Pie!" It was too soon for me to register everything into my mind when suddenly I was being squeezed in a tight hug from this unknown but familiar person. The exquisite scent of her perfume lingered around my nostril, ticking the flash of remembrance which reminded me of someone.

"Fern?" A soft chuckle escaped from my parted lips as I returned the hug. God, I hadn't realised that I missed this woman too much until she was here. My best friend was here for real.

"Yea, it's me," Fern released me from her held but didn't really let me go. She rested her hands on both of my shoulder while her light brown eyes penetrated into mine as she took a close look of me. A sweet smile crept to her lips which awhile later turned into a hideous smirk. How could I forget that I got a psycho friend? Fern was up to something judging from that kind of look.

"What is it, Fern?" I groaned, rolling my eyes at her as in to emphasise my annoyance. I knew her well; that witty remark of hers would always mean something. It would be either she was trying to make fun of me or manipulating the situations, the combination of both were the worst.

"What?" Fern laughed, removing her hands from my shoulders as she took two steps away from me. Standing at a comfortable distance between us, Fern took a brief time to study my figure. She was weird in the sense that it frightened me. What was she trying to do here?

"Don't what me, Fern. I know you have something in your mind," I saw Fern pouted, playing offended by my reaction.

"C'mon Pie, why so serious?" Fern shook her head. Her soft giggling echoed right after. "Since you didn't invite me in, I would just welcome myself by myself," Fern shoved my arm lightly and walked pass me. I let laughter drifted away from both of us. Closing the door behind me, I trailed after her as she walked to our small living room. This would be her first time to visit me here, at my new home. I wondered where she got my address and what not. Anyhow, it wouldn't be a surprise if she ever figured it out by herself. Fern always got her way for everything.

Fern plopped down herself to long couch. Lying on her back and she made herself comfortable there. This was the typical Baifern I have always known. She was without shame, making someone else home like hers...like only hers.

"Nice home," She complimented, taking every details of the house into her conscious mind. I traced her gaze but unfortunately I didn't see any interesting element about my new home; plain wall and less furniture as to compare to my Grandpa's mansion. Fern might just want to steer a conversation then.