Alchemists on a Train ch. 2

Most of the dialogue and actions from the train fighting scene (except for Avril's) all belong to Arakawa Hiromu.

Chapter 2: Alchemists on a Train

My eyes darted across the room only to glance back at him. I always get really awkward around strangers and it didn't help that Edward Elric WAS that stranger. My heart was pounding out of control and my mind was just no help at all.
I need to talk to him. This is my big chance to converse with Edward so I need to stop being a wus and just talk.
I looked up at him.
Ohmygoshohmygoshohmygosh
Then I looked right back down.
Ok girl. Calm down. Just ask him anything. We're on a train for crying out loud, and that's a huge conversation starter.
"Um... So.. W-where are you guys going?"
"To Central", Edward answered.
"Central, huh? I'm heading there too... B-By the way, where does this train go?"
Ed looked pretty confused. "It's a one way train to Central... Wait so you went on this train not knowing where it was going?"
"Yep. Pretty much. I kind of don't have a ticket but I really needed to go to Central, so I took the first train I saw", the words just flowed from my mouth. All the nervousness was slowly fading away.
"So you snuck on the train?!" Ed's voice was a little louder.
"Shhh! I don't want the conductor to get all worked up. I just really needed to get to Central before..." My voice trailed off.
"Before?"
"....Before I'm too late", I answered. I didn't know why, but I felt that I shouldn't tell Ed everything just yet.
He eyed me suspiciously for a while before he turned his head and rested it in his hands.
I turned to Alphonse. Better up my status with Al while Ed is thinking. I gazed at him in awe. Al was always an amazing guy who had to put up with Ed and his... personality. Man, I want to glomp Al, too.
He must have felt my eyes on him because he turned to face me. We made eye contact for a moment until I broke it, feeling awkward.
"H-Hey. Cool armor".
"Thanks", he replied smiling. Well I couldn't see the smile but I'm sure it was there.
"My name is Avril Flinn. What's yours?"
"I'm Alphonse Elric and that's my brother Edward Elric", he gestured at Ed.
Well I already knew that. "Nice to meet you Alphonse and Edward", I glanced at Edward who was sleeping.
THAT was fast.
I smiled to myself while Al apologized.
"Sorry but my brother sleeps pretty quickly".
"Nah, it's cool. He needs to get his rest, after all sleeping is a good way to get tall", I smirked at the sleeping figure.
"That and drinking milk. But brother won't drink his milk even if you paid him".
"Oh well that's not good. He should really be drinking at least eight glasses if he's ever going to grow. Maybe you should smuggle it in his food". It was difficult not to laugh at this conversation. My mind was imagining Ed doing a short rant and then yelling about how milk is disgusting.
Our little conversation, however, was interuppted by a scene that was all too familiar. Men with guns held the passengers captive, including Al and I.
I was terrified. This was the first time I've ever been in a hijacked train before. I already knew the ending to this: Ed and Al totally knocks everyone out. But still, being in a situation like this really makes the heart race.
One of the hijackers walked up towards us. He rested his arm on the top of our seat and looked at Ed.
"You can sleep pretty well in a situation like this, kid", he walked closer to Ed and poked him in the face with his gun. Al and I just looked at each other, after all we both know how Ed can be when he's pissed.
"Hey! Hey wake up! Why don't you act a little more like a hostage you..."
Oh please oh please oh PLEASE do not go there.
"SHRIMP!"
Aaaaannnddd he went there.
Ed instantly got up, fist balled up tightly and an ominous presence around him.
The man pointed the gun back at Ed. "Oh? You got any complaints?"
Ed clapped his hands around the gun and a blue light flashed, sparks flying. The man looked at his new weapon: a trumpet.
"WHAT THE HELL!?"
Ed kicked him square in the face as Al and I did simultaneous face palms.
Another man showed up and pointed his gun at the height deprived alchemist.
"Not bad punk. We're told not to give mercy to anyone who resists us. I don't feel right shooting a shrimp like you, but..."
Al jumped in and grabbed the man's wrist. "Now, now. Calm down you two."
The captor screamed at Al. "What!? You want to put up a fight too?"
Bam! Ed falcon kneed him to the face. "WHO THE HELL IS THE FLEA-SIZED ULTRA SHRIMP!!?"
"Brother, brother. He'll die if you do anymore than that".
Ed paused to look at Al and I. "Anyway who are these guys?"
Al hung his head. "So it was only a subconscious reaction from hearing shrimp".
"Typical Ed", I giggled because it was pretty cute seeing Ed's short rant up close.
After the two men were tied up nice and tightly, Ed questioned the only conscious one.
"Other than us, there are two in the engine room, four holding the general in the first class car, and four of us guarding the hostages spread thoughout the passenger cars".
"And?" Ed raised his fist.
"Really that's it! Really!"
The passengers mumbled to each other. "There are still ten of them?"
"If they find out what happened to their friends, aren't they going to retaliate?"
Al sighed. "If a certain somebody had acted calmly, this probably would have ended peacefully right?"
I nodded in a matter-of-fact way.
"We can't move on if we only regret the past, little brother!" Ed walked towards the window. "Can't be helped. I'll take the top. Al you handle things down under, okay?"
"Okay, okay".
I interuppted. "Wait! What about me?"
Ed paused to take a good look at me, as if he just remembered that I existed. I returned the look with my eyebrows raised.
"You stay here. It's going to be pretty dangerous out there".
"Wha-what do you mean? I can handle myself!"
"If you go, you might get killed!"
"I can fight! I know how! I'm going no matter what!" I looked him right in his eyes, mine filled with determination. "I really want to help..." I added in a lower tone.
Ed sighed, annoyance showing in his tone. "Fine, whatever. Al keep an eye on her".
"Okay".
Ed jumped out the train and swung himself onto the top. Al and I looked at each other, nodded, and then ran to other passenger car. I was slightly ahead of Al when I suddenly remembered something.
"Hey Al!" I grabbed his metallic arm and pulled him in front of me. "Stay in front, ok?"
Not even seconds later did we run into another hijacker. He looked frightened at Al's presence and the cigarette fell out of his open mouth. He screamed and began shooting Al bullet after bullet. Al tried to warn him.
"Wait. Watch out for the rico-"
"OOWW!"
"-chet. Too late".
The man fell down grabbing his leg in pain as another hijacker came holding a gun.
He had the same reaction and the bullet ricocheted on him as well.
Al sighed as he walked ahead. I kicked them out of the way shaking my head, "Idiots".
We both ran into the next passenger car avoiding the stares of the frightened passengers. Then we ran into the car in front of it, Al taking the lead.
We ran into two more hijackers who had a little more sense than the other two we fought before.
One of them pointed the gun at Al, but he didn't shoot right away. While he was focusing on Al, I jumped from behind the seat and kicked the gun out of his hand. He grabbed his hand in pain as I threw him onto the floor and flipped him over, locking his arm behind his back and breaking his wrist.
The other man pointed his gun at me and fired. I turned to use my victim as a shield in the nick of time and the bullet caught his leg. I threw my captive onto the other hijacker and Al punched them both hard enough to knock them unconscious.
I gave him a smile and a thumbs up as we ran towards the other car. Hm, I hate to admit it, but my martial arts lessons really paid off. I'll have to thank mom for forcing me to go there... If I see her again.
Al stopped me as we reached the entrance of the other car. I heard Ed's voice coming from the other side.
"Please release the hostages and surrender yourselves. Failure to do so, and we will have to remove you by force".
Barud's voice rung out. "I don't know who you are, but as long as we have hostages, we can't lose".
"Oh dear me. Still full of that fighting spirit? Too bad. Negotiations have failed. All hostages, please hide behind shelter".
Al opened the door just as a huge blast of water flowed out of a transmuted water pipe. Three hijackers flowed out through the door.
"Welcome", Al and I said, knocking our fists in unison. I fought with a wicked smile plastered on my face. Adrenaline was pumping throughout my body and even though the situation was dangerous, fighting with Ed and Al was... Fun.
Ed jumped in from the roof of the train just as Al and I finished off the three guys.
Barud was about the shoot Ed, but he punched the weapon with his transmuted dagger-hand.
"What?" Ed looked serious. "You're still using cheap goods".
Al was behind Barud at this point and he grabbed his shoulder. The brothers attacked in unison, Al punching Barud's face and Ed slicing his automail.
I looked at the brothers in awe. Dang, they are so cool. Ed huffed and caught his breath as Al walked up to converse with the terrified hostages. I walked up to Ed and gave him a warm smile.
"That was pretty cool back there, Edward", I said patting him on his shoulder.
That comment gave his ego a slight push. "Really? Heh, I guess".
He stood up straight and that was when I noticed that he was (by a few centimeters) taller than me... Edward Elric is taller than me. Just let that sink in.
My hands shook and I dramatically fell to my knees. Ed looked at me as if he was concerned that something happened.
"Hey! Are you okay?"
"The.. Biggest.. Insult..."
"Huh?"
I looked up with comical tears in my eyes. "Edward Elric is taller than me! That is the biggest insult that I ever recieved. I mean I knew I was short but I didn't think I was THAT short".
Ed looked pissed and angry veins popped on his forehead. "WHO ARE YOU CALLING SO SMALL HE COULD GO SQUARE-DANCING WITH AN ANT?!"
I giggled. Again, to me his short rants are adorable. "Sorry sorry", I said smiling while getting up.
When my body was fully upright, a sharp pain stabbed the right side of my torso. It was so sudden that I fell to the ground again. The adrenaline caused me to forget about the pain, and now that it died down the pain was unbearable.
Al looked in my direction, saw the expression on my face and was worried. "Brother! She could be hurt".
Ed looked unfazed. "Oh please, Al. She's just playing another joke on me".
I clutched onto the spot that pained me the most. If I had stayed in the car and sat down this wouldn't have happened. I was stressing my body too much by fighting. But I wanted to show Ed and Al that I could help them and maybe I could join them on their adventures and just maybe slither my way into Ed's arms. My stubborness got the best of me this time and Ed doesn't even believe that I'm really hurt.
I tried to force myself to sit up but the pain worsened, and I had to turn my head to avoid coughing up blood at Ed. THAT got his attention.
He instantly got a panicked and worried expression, and he bent down beside me. "H-hey! What's wrong? Are you okay?"
"E-Ed..."
I need to get to a hospital. NOW!
And that was my last memory before I blacked out.

-----------------------------------------------
Finally got to this. Super sorry for not posting as frequently as I would like to, but my days are getting a little busy. And now my parents are ALREADY reminding me about school -_- and when that starts again I might not post in long time. hopefully I can and will when that time comes. But be happy, I stayed up till five a.m finishing this for you guys (no regrets). Anyway when it gets late I start to write unnecessary things (or would this count as early?) super sleepy... Anywho, bye-nee!! (^_−)−☆