Chapter 1 - Surprise You're A Mum

My feet felt so sore, almost as though I had been walking for days on end, when really it's only been about half an hour. Pulling my cardigan around my curvy body as a shiver runs through me, from the top of my spine to the bottom of my pedicured toes. As I reach my threshold I pull out my keys and sigh as I enter my home, its warm welcoming presence instantly engulfs me.

Walking into my bedroom I take off my clothes and take a long well deserved bubble bath, after my stressful night at the 'Red Lion'; which is a restaurant I work at during the evenings as a waitress. After finding my warm cosy pyjamas, which consisted of a pink tank top, white sweater and pyjama bottoms, I walk into the kitchen in search of nourishment.  Finding some leftover pizza, I pop it in the microwave and indulge in a nice glass of red wine. "Mmm" I moan while lightly tapping my belly after finishing off my dinner and head of to bed. I sigh in content and pleasure when my body touches my beds soft warmth, and drift off into a peaceful, dreamless sleep.

12:48am, my alarm clock reads as I look over at it after being rudely awoken by an earth shattering, toe curling scream. Hastily, I get up. I knew picking a house by an alley way would one day come back and bite me in the ass. You know how teenagers are, right? Being stereotypical I know but anyways, I just couldn't help myself. I fell in love with this house at first sight, ignoring its imperfections.  It was absolutely breath-taking and spacious enough for me and all my junk, as my mum would put it. Another scream pierces through the silent night, bringing me out of my thoughts. Startled out of my wits, I scramble for the bat my dad insisted I take when I told him and my mum I was moving out and silently thank him.

Vigilantly, I opened the front door and walked quietly into the alley. "This is so not happening". Looking into the alley I could almost see the silhouette of a shadow throwing a now wailing baby into the dumpster. "Hey" I yelled out into the darkness, not receiving a response I hesitantly strolled forward. Realising that the shadow has disappeared, I raced to the dumpster and opened it.

Lying in the dumpster was a beautiful red-faced petite baby boy, swathed in a grey hoodie and completely naked underneath. I gently picked up the bawling new born baby, and rocked him soothingly while whispering sweet nothings in his ear. After he had calmed down I started walking back to the house when I noticed a small crumbled note pinned to the grey hoody, wrapped around the baby.

Whoever is reading this at the moment is holding my adorable baby boy, Gabriel. I can't look after him, I am only 19 years old you see and my parents would murder me and most likely disown me. I have an even bigger problem than them, Angelo De Luca, my ex-boyfriend and this baby's dad.  He is after my baby but he doesn't know I named him or the sex of his own child. If my ex ever comes searching for you or Gabriel you don't know anything about a biological mother, because from now on he is yours. Even though I don't know who you are I am immensely grateful to you, please love him as if he were your own.

                                                             Sarah xx

Completely perplexed and emotionally numbed by what I had just read, I walked back into my house and called an ambulance to come and check on the baby.

One hour and fourteen minutes later, the ambulance finally departed leaving few words of encouragement and reassurance which were that Gabriel is perfectly healthy and just needs to be fed and some rest. I was also advised to bring him into the hospital tomorrow to have him registered and get a birth certificate. The police also arrived a little later after the paramedics and took my statement saying they would look into it but not promising anything.

I picked up my mobile phone and texted my elder sister, Summer who is absolutely flawless, with her lovely glossy blonde hair that cascades just below her shoulders. She has exquisite emerald eyes that glisten with mirth, anger or sadness depending on her mood. Summer has tanned skin and a striking complexion that I envy.  I on the other hand have pale skin, wavy chestnut hair and eyes. Nothing special just a plain Jane I am.

Cassie (me): Hey, hun can u come over n bring some of jere's old baby clothes n buy me some diapers? oh n some baby milk too..tnx.

Summer: I'm kinda freakin' out.  Is dere something u wanna tell me?

Me:  Err no, will u get em?

Summer:  Sure but why?

Me:     Wld u plz stop with da questions?

Summer:  KK, Geez

Me:  Oh n huz up don't b L8: p

Summer:  me? L8, never!   ;)

                                                          -   End of text -

Forty- six minutes later my sister wobbled through the door, using the spare keys I gave her for emergency use only, not that it matters seeing as she just parades through the door whenever she feels like it.

"I'm here- I'm here" she gasps while putting down at least 6 or more plastic bags down onto my living room floor. "I can see that" I reply sarcastically.

"Is THAT A NEW BORN BABY" she exclaimed. 

"Nah, it is an Orang-utan, want to pet it" came my sarcastic reply. 

"Okay would you please cut that out, you're more sarcastic than Eddie murphy and he is the KING of sarcasm. Anyway I thought you were looking after a toddler for a friend or something" she says warily. 

"Sorry sis, I'm just a little-okay a really stressed out. I've become a mom overnight, LITERALLY!" 

"So he is yours" she cautiously states while pointing at the baby boy currently wigging in my arms.

"Yes" I reply calmly, "Gabriel is now mine, well nearly I'm thinking about adopting him and the process will start tomorrow, hopefully." I announce, surprisingly calm for someone who's life has been turned upside down.

"Gabriel... that's a nice name, you know it means God is my strength or strong man of God, something like that?"

"How do you know all these facts" I reply stunned.

"Well, you know how I do" she answers back cockily while brushing invisible dust of her shoulders.

Summer took a seat on the couch and patted the spot next to her, "so what happened" she said concern laced through her voice.

After twenty minutes of conveying all of tonights - well more like mornings events, I passed Gabriel to her and strolled over to the bags she brought with her and started looking through them. In the bag I found different unisex coloured clothes, bibs, feeding bottle, pacifiers, diapers, wipes, dummies and plenty more baby essentials. 

Since the paramedics already helped me clean Gabriel up before they left, I grabbed some baby clothes; which consisted of a vest seeing as it was warm out and the pack of diapers. Going into the kitchen after leaving Summer to get Gabriel dressed, I tried to make him a bottle. Keyword, tried.  I took one of the powdered milk I found in one of the shopping bags and attempted to make Gabriel's bottle. On the sixth try I gave up altogether. Calling in Summer the expert seeing as she is the mother of two herself I left her to it.

Looking at the clock in my living room on top of my fireplace, I notice that it is half past three in the morning. Gabriel is now sleeping peacefully in my arms and Summer left over an hour ago leaving her car keys and car behind so that it would be easier for me to go to the hospital tomorrow and go shopping for Gabriel's essentials things like a crib. 

Turning off all the lights I head upstairs. Hmm, I think as I look at the bed. "Where are you gonna sleep lil guy?" I whisper out loud to a sleeping Gabriel. Putting him lightly in the middle of the bed, I grab three pillows from my closet put it behind him so he doesn't fall off the bed, during the night. After doing this I jump into bed and cuddle him closely. Looking at him I suddenly notice how gorgeous he really is and fall in love with him instantaneously. I admired his rosy pink cheeks, thin rosy lips and the long black eyelashes that many girls will envy him for in the future. I giggle at the thought of it. Even though I am in this bizarre situation in some way I've bonded with this handsome little boy. I silently promised to be the best mum in the world to him as I drift off into the darkness.