Chapter 13 - Daddy?

Ringing the doorbell Angelo and I wait anxiously for it to open. Less than a minute later the door swings open. Standing before us is my mother. “Where have you been, I was expecting you ages ago” she says while pulling me into a hug. “Sorry ma” I reply sheepishly. “Who is this handsome young man” my mum says after pulling away from the hug.

“Angelo my mother, ma Angelo” I quickly introduce. “It’s a pleasure to meet you Mrs Pearson” Angelo says while holding out his right hand for a handshake. “Oh the pleasure it’s all mine dear” my mum says while giggling like a school girl. Clearing my throat I slip pass mum into the house and leave them to it. Walking into the living room I find my dad watching a football game.

“Hey daddy” I greet while bending forward to give him a hug and a kiss on the cheek. “Hi princess” he says while muting the TV.I notice that the house is quiet a little too quirt. “Daddy where’s Gabriel” I ask.  “The kid is at the park with our neighbour Margret and her son.” He replies. Before I could ask what time he’d be back mum and Angelo walk in.

Dad eyes Angelo then looks back and forth between us. “Be nice” I whisper in his ear before going to stand next to Angelo. I introduce the two men and go over to sit down on a couch. Standing up my dad studies Angelo for a few seconds then accepts his handshake.  Angelo comes to sit next to me. Putting four mugs of coffee on the centre table my mum takes a mug then goes to sit on the arm rest on my father’s chair. Taking a quick sip of my tea I decide that it would be best if my parents knew exactly who Angelo is.

“Mum, dad Angelo is Gabriel’s biological father” I say pausing to see their reaction. Mum looks a little surprised. “I thought he looked familiar, Gabriel looks exactly like him” dad says.  “How did you find him, where was he for the last four years, what’s going on?” mum asks. Sighing I begin to explain to them how we met and how we talked to Sarah’s cousin. After explaining Sarah’s how to get rich quick scheme my mum looked like she was about to pass out.

After a few minutes of small talk Angelo does something that shocks all of us except from my father. “Sir, I would like to ask permission for you daughters hand in marriage” Angelo says calmly. My mother gasps when he says this and I turn sharply towards him. Looking at my dad I wait for his response.

“Why do you want to marry my daughter?” My father asks Angelo. Both men completely ignore our reactions and carry on with the subject. “Well besides the fact that I don’t want to miss out anything else in Gabriel’s life, I sincerely care about your daughter and want to do the right thing by her and my son” he confidently says. My mum gently makes an ‘Aww’ sound in admiration and my father nods his head in approval.

“You have my blessing” he says with a small smile. “Daddy!” I cry out at the fact that he gave in so easily. “What? I think his good for you and your son” he says with a simple shrug of his shoulders.

“Yes plus you’re not getting any younger and I really want more grandchildren” she says smiling.  “Ma please” I say embarrassed. “Sorry I am just so happy, I was starting to think you were a lesbian you never brought a man home to meet us” she says

“MUM!” I yell turning a bright shade of red while Angelo and my father both chuckle at the scene before them. Huffing I cross my arms over my chest and pout like a child. “Okay...Fine I’ll stop, now about the wedding...” she starts.

I was in the kitchen mum helping with lunch when I heard the front door slam shut and a little pair of feet running towards this part of the house. “MUMMY! MUMMY! MUMMY” a small voice yells. Turning around I am instantly attacked by a four year old boy. Picking Gabriel up, I hug him tightly and kiss him on the head.

Gabriel had his little legs wrapped around my waist, and his arm around my neck. Swinging from side to side I stroke his back soothingly. “I missed you mummy” He mumbles into the crook of my neck. “I missed you too baby boy” I say while trying to hold back tears. Looking at my mum I see her gazing at us with a loving smile. “Are you ready” She mouths to me when she catches my eye. Nodding my head in response I start walking towards the living room.

I pull away a little from Gabriel but still carry him in my arms. Switching positions I move him from the front of my body to my hip. Angelo stands up from where he was sitting and approaches us; I can tell that he is nervous by his stance. “Gabriel baby, someone wants to meet you” I say gently. Gabriel stops playing with my hair for a second then resumes playing with it again. “Who mummy?” he asks. I look at Angelo’s direction and Gabriel follows my gaze. Angelo’s breath catches in his throat when eyes just like his look back at him.

Gabriel smiles and turns back to me, “Hey mummy that’s the man from the shop” he says then fusses in my hold to get down.  As soon as his down on his own two feet he runs towards Angelo. “Hey mister have you got any gwmmy bears?” he asks. Angelo bends down so his eye level with Gabriel. He chuckles lightly before replying, “Sorry kid not today, and maybe next time”

“Okay” Gabriel says before coming back to me. Angelo stands up staring after Gabriel in what looks like awe. Gabriel holds up both his hands wanting to be picked up. I always thought it was cute when he did that, it reminded me of when he was a toddler. “Gabriel honey” I say softly after I’ve picked him up. “Yeah mummy” he replies. “You know that man over there...”  I say taking a pause. “Him?” he asks while pointing at Angelo. Grabbing the hand that is pointing at Angelo I tuck it between us.

“What have I told you about pointing at people?” I ask sternly. “Sorry mummy” was his reply.  “It’s fine but don’t do it again it’s rude. Anyway yes him... he is you daddy” I say. Gabriel looks at me with innocent blue eyes and then looks back at Angelo who smiles at him but doesn’t say anything. “Do you understand sweetie” I ask softly while walking to the sofa and sit down while placing Gabriel on my lap. Angelo comes and sits next to us but keeps a small distance.

Gabriel nods then says, “Like grandpa is your daddy he is mine?” he asks hesitantly. Smiling I nod. “Yes that’s right honey.” I say. “How come I never seen him before and – and how come he doesn’t live with us like other mummy’s and daddy’s do?” he ask frowning in confusion. Not knowing how to respond to this I look over at Angelo pleading with my eyes for help. “Well Gabriel soon we will all live together like a family would you like that” he says.

Gabriel looks at him then at me before turning his attention to Angelo, them mumbling a quick yes. Playing with my hair Gabriel looks at Angelo and with the saddest look says, “I’ve never had a daddy before.” Hearing this breaks my heart and a single tear rolls down my cheek, I quickly wipe it away but it’s no use Angelo has seen it. Looking back at him I notice his holding back tears of his own.

“Well now you do and I love you very much” Angelo says. “As much as mummy, because mummy loves me this much” he says while spreading out both his little arms out as wide as possible. “But my love for you is as big as the whole wide world” Angelo retorts teasingly while sending me a wink.  Turning to face me Gabriel whispers, “Wow mummy I think daddy beats you” but it was loud enough for us both to hear and makes Angelo and I laugh.

Surprising us both Gabriel crawls of my lap and into Angelo’s. “I love you too daddy” he says before shyly giving him a quick peck on the cheek. Grinning widely, Angelo pulls Gabriel in for a hug. “I feel left out guys” I tease. “Oh no, come here mummy” Gabriel says while pulling me into their hug. Smiling at how this turned out I move in closer to Angelo’s side. “I could get used to this I think” as I look at my new family.

*********************************

I really appreciate the feedback guys.  Anyway it's up keep telling me what you think.