Chapter 27 - Meeting The Dead (part 2)

As we settled onto his comfortable leather couch, the tension in the air became almost tangible. I didn't know how to act in this situation, to say this was an uncomfortable and surreal moment is an understatement.

Angelo was completely tense, he sat up straight; as stiff as a board and finally it all made sense to me. Why he had been so distance these past few days and to be honest I couldn't blame the guy, his dead brother, turned out to be not so dead this whole time. I remember him telling me how painful the loss of Diego had been for his family.

I couldn't even fathom how he must be feeling and all of a sudden I was drowned in a wave of guilt, for selfishly believing he was pulling away from me for unjustified reasons when all along he must have been dealing with something so painful. Looking over his face which was slowly starting to gain color again, I wish he had told me what was going on just for the sake of having someone to talk to and unload some of his emotions and the obvious stress he was feeling. Wanting to offer at least some kind of comfort to him I reached across the short distance and laced his hand with mine giving him a short squeeze, letting him know i'm here with him. Angelo turned to face me, our eyes met and for a split second I swore I saw a look of relief and a little vulnerability flash in those electric blues before he turned away from me to face his 'brother'.

Through clenched teeth, Angelo uttered the one word, "How?" If I hadn't have been looking at his face when he spoke I would not  have even known he had spoken at all as his lips didn't even move and he uttered them so softly that it was as if he was afraid of hearing the answer to his question. Hell, I know I would be.

Diego glanced at his brother's face before answering, he had been observing us and our interaction with each other from the moment we walked through those double mahogany front doors.

"I did what needed to be done for my family as the eldest son. I took over the 'family business' and did what I needed to ensure that the family name was clean" he said firmly, jaw clenched, body tense and with some slight regret.

'Family business' I thought, well that doesnt sound good. Why would he possibly need to run this family business alone, in secret...unless. Was it something illegal?

My thoughts were interupted by Angelo's confused and angry words. "But I thought we got out. Pops said we were out, a fresh start. Are you saying he knew about all this? Diego, mum was so devastated she nearly took her life!!" 

The silence stretched out, echoed even as if it were bouncing of the walls and surrounded every inch of the room. Diego's eyes almost seemed to flash with pain before they shuttered and his face became cold and hardened. It soon became clear that this was a man who could easily turn off his emotions but it made me wonder what on earth had made him turn into such a cold distant person. 

"I have had the maid prepare the guest room, you will stay for the night si?" he asked with a low rumble. Angelo turned to face me and his eyes asking a silent question. After a hesitating for a few seconds I gave a tentative nod and a reassuring smile. 

After settling Gabriel and I in the guest room Angelo left to have a late night drink with his brother. Sighing I slipped into bed with my son and pulled him closer into my chest. After stroking his soft curls, I soon fell asleep with his warm breath on my breasts. 

A loud crashing sound startled me awake, rubbing the sleep out of my eyes I sat up and listened quietly. Another crash sounded throughout the once silent night. Confused and both startled I rolled out of the bed and tucked Gabriel in the middle. After placing a gentle kiss on his chubby cheek I followed the sound down to the study. Pushing the door open I barely avoided the Diego's body as Angelo's fist sent him stumbling back in my direction. 

"Stop!!" I shouted in both anger and terror but I was almost as if I was a ghost in the room. Annoyed at being completely ignored I found the closet thing to me which just happened to be a study lamp and threw it across the wall from us all. It smashed into a pieces and caught the attention of the two Neanderthals who were just about to attack each other again. Two nearly identical electric blue eyes turned to look at me. Putting both hands on my hips I glared at them both filled with anger and disappointment. "What the hell is going on? You are both grown ass men, brothers might I remind you." Turning to Angelo I pointed at him before hissing "Are you crazy, your son is upstairs sleeping!". He had the audacity to look ashamed, turning sharply to look at his brother who was still breathing deeply and sporting a cut lip, eyebrow and bruised not that Angelo looked any better himself quite frankly; they looked nearly as bad as each other. "Not that you seem to care but your nephew is asleep, how inconsiderate of the both of you. You're not Abel and Cain why are you fighting each other" I asked frustrated with them both.  "This is a family problem, we'll deal with it" Diego growled before spitting blood from his mouth.

Cringing back from both his words and actions I straightened my shoulders and was about to respond when Angelo stepped in. "She is my wife and the mother of my son therefore she is family" grabbing my hand Angelo went to lead me out of the room before adding as an after thought "And you will respect her...brother" he spat the last word as though it was distasteful and continued to lead me upstairs to our hopefully still sleeping son.

As we entered the room I checked on Gabriel who had somehow managed to role to the other side of the bed, after gently  shifting him back into the middle I walked into the bathroom to find a shirtless husband. Walking up to him I wrapped my arms around him, resting my cheek on his back.  His muscles tensed then relaxed almost instantly, pulling back slightly I placed a soft kiss on his shoulder blade. "Why were the two of you fist fighting" I asked both confused and curious.

Turning to face  me Angelo looked deep into my eyes a slight frown coming across his face. He hesitated before simply stating, "he has done some - is doing some bad things...I thought we were past this..." Sighing he placed a gentle kiss on my forehead before promising to tell me everything another time claiming it was to dangerous to say anything to me at the moment.

After briefly considering his words I pulled him to sit down at the edge of the massive bath tub so that I could clean his cuts. Not once did he flinch or wince, he stayed perfectly still at times I wasn't even sure he was really there with me.

Finishing up I placed a sweet kiss on his lips in hopes to comfort him but he deepened it grabbing onto my hips and drawing me closer into the space between his legs. He lifted me slightly so I could straddle his legs.

"Angelo...please" I gasped pulling away from his kisses "Not now I added...not here" I added after a beat.

With a deep sigh and reluctant nod he slowly helped me down and moved with me into the bedroom. Getting under the sheets I pulled Gabriel towards me into my embrace while Angelo spooned us from behind. Laying a tender kiss on my neck and shoulder he wished me goodnight...melting into his embraced I slipped into the darkness with my two favorite people in the whole world sleeping on either side of me.

Tomorrow - we would deal with the problem of his resurrected brother but for now blissful sleep was welcomed with open arms.

*****************

Hey guys...so there it is. Hoped you enjoyed it. Sorry for the long wait. Another Chapter will be posted before the end of the week. Let me know what you think of Diego and him coming back from the dead.

Vote, Comment and Share!!!