Chapter 3 - Moving Him In

Finding a decent parking space I stop the car and get out. I'm about to get Gabriel out when I realise how stupid I will look just carrying a baby in my arms through the mall. "Ah well, it's not the first time I've looked like an idiot and grabbed the attention of strangers" I murmur to myself. Shrugging my bag up higher onto my shoulder I open the door to the back seat. I carefully unbuckle Gabriel and then gently lift him into my arms, where he was going to stay until I could get to the nearest baby shop and buy a stroller.

Walking into the mall and ignoring the odd looks I am getting from people I quickly walk into the first baby store I see which happens to be 'Toys R us' and head straight for the baby section of the store.

All around me were baby clothes, cribs, strollers and toys. A sales assistant starts walking towards me. She has a short brown hair, green eyes and was wearing a light blue shirt and a knee length black pencil skirt. A small name tag rested just above her left breast and it read 'Mandy'. The name suits her I think to myself, just as she says, "Hi I'm Mandy, would you like some help?" Giving her a pleading look I reply with a desperate "Yes please". Mandy chuckles lightly at my expression and then looks down at Gabriel with a warm smile. "How old is he" she asks while gently stroking Gabriel's cheek. I smile at her before replying "A few days". She looks up shocked and says, "And you're up and about already wow and you must have not been prepared for him since you here"  

"Oh you have no idea" I mutter under my breath. "So what are you looking for today?" Mandy asks patiently.

"Well..... Everything" I say slowly. "Everything" a bewildered Mandy asks. I nod my head and give her a sheepish smile. "Okay, well — did you have anything in mind, where to start" she asks thoughtfully. "Oh yes definitely, a stroller for this little guy is at the top of my list" I say without doubt. Gabriel isn't that heavy but I've been carrying him for a while and my arms are starting to ache immensely from the strain.

Mandy takes me over to the part of the store where they sell strollers and just after an hour of shopping my knowledge about childcare and equipment has increased profoundly. I bought a beautiful red and white baby stroller which I was told was the best in the store at the moment. It was very helpful and I put Gabriel in it as soon as I could. I also bought a playpen, some more diaper, clothes, a baby bath tub, a few toys and a crib. Overall let's just say I'm going to need a babysitter because I'm gonna have to pull more shifts at 'Red Lions'. Who knew babies were so expensive. Summer always made it look easy, but in second thought she has a good job (as a fashion magazine editor) and a hot shot lawyer for a husband. Me, well all I had to think about was myself so I had more than enough for clothes and food; plus, mum and dad were taking care of college expenses.

 I was now walking back to the car Gabriel was sleeping peacefully in the stroller I smiled at the adorable sight. I didn't have much with me just what I could carry which was the diapers, some toys and the clothes. The rest was at the store and would be sent to my house later this afternoon. Packing the items I had purchased in the car- boot, I tenderly picked Gabriel up; he stirred a little but didn't wake up. Trying to be as quiet as possible I put him carefully back into the car seat, before quietly closing the door. I got into the driver's seat and closed the door, not so gently this time which resulted to a now very awake and loud Gabriel. I turned around and gave him the red dummy and just like magic his wailing seized.     

 I had two hours to spare before I had to see that social worker Cindy. So I decided to go home I needed to sort a few things out and get Gabriel fed anyways. Twenty-five minutes later we were home.  I got out the car and got the things inside then came back out for Gabriel. Taking the car seat out with him still inside I made sure the car was locked then went back indoors.

I put the car seat down on the kitchen counter and started making Gabriel a bottle while I was moving around the kitchen I noticed that his eyes followed me everywhere. This amused me. When his bottle was done I took him out of the car seat and held him while I gave him his bottle. Feeling a little hungry myself, I put him back in the car seat and made myself a sandwich and a cool glass of lemonade to go with it. Just as I was about to take a bite the door bell went off. Giving a frustrated sigh, I put the sandwich back on the plate looked at it longingly; then picked up Gabriel and went to answer the door. Opened the door revealed a man with a brown beard and a bald head, wearing a black t-shirt and grey trousers. His face was flushed from the afternoon heat and he was sweating a puddle on my doorstep.

 "Err ...Miss Pearson, I have your items. If you could please sign here and here." he said uninterested.  While holding out a clipboard towards me. 'How rude I thought'. After I signed the paper he went to the van that had a 'Toys R US' label on the side and started bringing in the things that I had bought.

When he was finished he turned to leave, but I stopped him. "Excuse me" I said, "I notice that the crib and playpen are in boxes aren't you supposed to fix it up or something" I asked warily.

The man who I realised has yet to share his name sighed. "Well I could ma'am but it would cost ya extra" he replied with a shrug. "How much would it cost?" I ask hesitantly. "Bout $280 for both" he says casually. Money was really tight right now and I couldn't afford it. Then an idea hit me - I could just ask Dave, my brother in law to do it and if he can't or is too busy maybe I could pop round Lucy's and see if she could ask her husband William to. After all she did say I shouldn't be a stranger. "Ahem".

The man clearing his throat brings me out of my thoughts. "Oh sorry, no thanks it's okay. I've got it handled" I say smiling brightly at him.

Confused by my change of mood the guy frowns mutters a good day and leaves.

After the man had left, I headed back into the kitchen and finished off my sandwich.  When I glanced at the time I nearly fall of my chair from shock. What the hell. Where has all the time gone? I have less than an hour to get there. Sighing I grab Gabriel and change his diaper. 

"SWEET MOTHER OF JESUS!" I exclaim when I open Gabriel's nappy. How can something so small and cute give out something so dirty, runny and smelly? Good God the stench. Grabbing a peg from the laundry basket I put it on my nose; worked like a charm. Quickly getting a new diaper and some wipes I got him changed in record time and throw the dirty diaper in the bin. Putting him in the car seat I got him in the car. Getting his nappy and feeding bag which consisted of three bottles of hot milk. I made sure the front door was securely locked then got in the car myself. I swiftly put the address to the social workers office in the satellite navigation and while waiting for it to load, texted Summer.

Me: Hi can u plz come over 2 mine and bring Dave and the kids. Ask Dave if he can plz fix up a crib n play pen I bought for Gabriel 2day.

Summer: Sure thing. Will u b there?

Me: No got an appointment with the social worker. After that going 2 the hospital for a birth certificate 4 Gabe.

Summer: Ok i'll make dinner 4 u @ ur place then shall I?

Me: Oh yes plz that wld b gr8. :)

Summer: Hw is Gabriel??

Me: Really gd actually. Gotta go now TTYL. Xx

Summer: C ya  <3

Dumpster Babyजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें