prologue - happy birthday hermione

[disclaimer]

The Harry Potter Franchise belongs to the fabulous JK Rowling who has changed my life in more ways than she'll ever know. I only own the plot to this small tale. Enjoy :)

As uneventful as they were, Hermione Granger had a profound love for the day Monday. Mondays had always been her favourite day, perhaps the reason was because she enjoyed school so much that the day Monday meant more than just a Monday. Monday's were the day she looked forward to, a day that determined the vibe of her week.

This Monday in particular was a great day. Hermione was turning 24. She hated to think that she was getting slightly older but truth be it, she wasn't the little girl who was nearly crushed by a troll in her first year.

Hermione was up at dawn. She slipped out of her chambers in nothing but a top and shorts and holding a lantern, she so desperately needed to visit the library. She walked at a quick pace until she reached the library door, swiftly unlocking it. Hermione had duplicated the key during her seventh year, allowing herself to venture the library alone. There was shelf upon shelf full of glorious books about Alchemy, Potions, even books on the Use of Bezoars.

Oh how beautiful thought Hermione as she glided through the aisles. She lifted her arm and brushed the spine of a book. Her bushy hair - still as ever refusing to fit through a hair band - lay comfortably down her back. She picked up a book and sat at the table with a yawn.

"Who's there? Students out of bed, hmm, how I'd love to see them hanging by the ear screaming.." Argus Filch poked his head into the library. His grey hair clung to his forehead and Hermione could see the oil slide off his face.

"Hello Argus." she said with a smile. Filch twisted his face into an ugly grimace and replied curtly
"Professor."

Letting out a shaky breath, Hermione returned to reading her book. Intresting she thought as she reread sentences about wandmaking.

"Miss Granger, what are you doing in the library at this time in the morning? And in a tank top in one degree weather?" Hermione turned her head to look at Severus Snape, who was standing at the door, dressed in black from head to toe.

Severus stared at Hermione. Her hair was tangled beyond possible, her skin was wonderfully smooth and Severus longed to run his hand across her shoulders. He shuddered and leaned against the door.

Hermione became all aware of her clothing and crossed her arms over her chest.

"I'm catching up on some reading before the library becomes full of kids."

Hermione simply looked at Severus, who in return shrugged.

"Join me?" She asked hopefully. Hermione was fascinated by Severus. He was intriguing, bloody scary too but she was intrigued by him. She enjoyed learning from him - learning about him.

Severus wanted to stay but he couldn't trust himself to be alone with her. He had come to terms with his hidden love for Hermione. It would be morally incorrect to fall in love with a colleague, even more so, an ex student! Hermione was beautiful and he loved looking at her. His favourite thing was to watch her blush when she was embarrassed. Her eyes would flutter and her cheeks would redden, Severus would be mesmerized in seconds.

"I must decline Miss Granger, I have matters which need to be attended to. Have a pleasant day." Severus decided to go, and Hermione was a bit disappointed.

She ran a hand through her difficult hair.

"Miss Granger?" Severus had stepped through the door. Hermione kept her excitement in and nodded at him.

"Happy Birthday."

//

"Happy Birthday to Hermione, Happy Birthday to you!"

Harry and Ron were the loudest by far, belting out lyrics of appreciation to Hermione, their best friend. She was, however, rendered speechless to discover her parents, and closest friends had organised a surprise party and well, that everything was going perfectly.

She was dressed simply today. A black top and a high waisted plaid skirt. Hermione always preferred to be comfortable, she wasn't attracted by ten inch heels or dresses that were so tight it was as if they had been painted on.

Harry stood up and tapped his glass with his spoon.

"I'd like to say a few words. Hermione, you have been one of the most important people in my life. I've known you since I was 11 and we've had the kind of friendship that is infinite. I am so proud of what you have accomplished and I know that whatever you do next, I will still love you and be proud of you. I love you Mione. Here's to a thousand more years of our friendship!"

The room filled with murmers of 'cheers!' and 'heresay's. Hermione was happy. Truly.

Severus Snape, however, looked as if he could stab a man. He had remained in a corner of the room undetected. He wanted to see Hermione have a great birthday, even if he was not the one to make her feel that way. No, Severus preferred keeping his distance. He has a reputation to uphold and after all, gits are not exactly the life and soul of a party. Severus grabbed a drink from the table full of assorted confectionery.

"I saw you, you know. I loved your attempt at not being seen. It worked out very well don't you think?"

Severus chuckled.

"Miss Granger, such a surprise. I was indeed wondering when you would bump into me."
Hermione grinned and grabbed a handful of nuts from the bowl on the wooden table. She put one in her mouth and watched as Severus took a large sip of what she deduced to be punch.

"It's Hermione, everyone calls me Hermione, even my dentists, wait well they are my parents but you get the idea. It's Hermione"

He nodded, put down his cup and walked away. No one really noticed his departure, no one really noticed his arrival but as aforementioned, Hermione had a sort of curiosity regarding her colleague, Severus, and so as he walked out, she slipped from the room too. Fred and George Weasley were busy entertaining the group so she had time.

"Severus! Wait up. Blimey you walk fast!" Hermione jogged through the corridors. It was past curfew and on a Monday nonetheless. No student dared to roam the corridors, not when Filch and his pest of a cat were on lookout.

Severus turned around at the sound of his name. Hermione was panting, clearly out of breath.

"Miss Granger, sorry Hermione, How may I be of assistance?"

She just nodded and managed to say a string of inaudible grunts. She composed herself and said

"I just wanted to say thank you for coming and I appreciate the fact that you had work but you managed to show up to my stupid, childish party." Hermione tiptoed and kissed Severus on his cheek. His heart skipped a beat and even if it was for a fraction of a second, Severus loved the feeling of her lips on his skin.

"Goodnight Severus."

"Have a pleasant night Hermione."

A/N

Hai.

I literally wrote this in a day because I'm so excited to start this story. I love writing fanfiction and I'm especially excited because it's Hermione and Severus ( *otp* *fangirls*)

I hope you like my story....
vote and comment what you think :)

love
anya