chapter thirteen

Please read my note at the end of the chapter. Anya x

Any normal human would have left the house by now, but Severus and Hermione were not normal people. They were blinded by the moment, and by each other.

At first, Hermione was afraid to kiss him. Not afraid of his lips, but afraid of what would come after. She was afraid that he would tell her that it was a mistake and that he did not care for her. Severus too had many thoughts but no reason to care about the consequences. She was kissing him and that had to account for something.

The first kiss was somewhat gentle. It was the type of kiss that you had when you were at a school dance in front of your friends. The second kiss was more rebellious; Hermione had put a hand on Severus's neck, and he pulled her closer to him, breathing her scent in like it was a lit candle. The third kiss was passionate.

It was slow, then fast and heated but also as passionate as anything. Hermione had nearly sat on his lap, determined to taste every bit of his mouth and to feel every part of him. It was incredibly exhilarating for them, both who had dreamed of this moment but also wanted it to last an eternity. It was Severus who pull away first.

Hot-faced, he found himself staring at Hermione. She looked at him with so much more than friendship in her amber eyes.

"I.. I must be the one Hermione. I'm...I have struggled with my feelings for a long time. With you Hermione, I feel different - better. I would be lying to say...that I...do not....care for you..because I do." Severus exhaled as if he had not been breathing for hours. Hermione gaped at him.

He likes me back. He likes be back. Holy fudge..

"If you don't feel the same-"

After a minute of silence, Severus looked down with humiliation. She didn't like him. And now he had professed his care for her and she had not even moved. Hermione noticed the fall in his chest and immediatly felt panic in her body.

"No..I do. I really, really care about you Severus," She reached for his palm, caressing the skin on top with such softness. Her hand clasped his face, smoothing his cheek with her thumb.

"I know it's hard to believe, but I think that I care for you more than you can imagine. You're just...you're beautiful and intelligent and snarky, I'm not sure if that's an asset but I love it and you'll never back down from a fight and you're everything and beyond." She rushed through her words, rambling on about everything that she found attractive in him.

Severus, for around the second or third time ever in his life, turned red. He couldn't believe that Hermione had anything good to say about him. She licked her lip and kissed him. She wanted to show him that it was more than lust and desire, that there was love involved.

After the kiss, they decided that it would be best to return to the hotel and then, to Hogwarts. There was no way to find Patrick Huth and there was no way to find him now, what with him running off to a destination which neither had a clue about.

////

The day was cool yet the sun blazed down mercilessly. At the hotel, Severus had gathered his posessions and waited wearily as Hermione got dressed in a pair of jeans and a blouse.

Hermione walked from the room and rested her arm against the pane of the wooden door. She saw a flash of yellow, a piece parchment that must've had Minerva's reply to the letter that she had sent days ago.

Picking it up she read silently,

"Hermione, all is seemingly well at Hogwarts. The children who had been taken were found in the Forbidden Forest, tied from their hands to a tree. They have been taken to the infirmary and are being treated thoroughly. We have asked for any information but it seems like they cannot remember a thing- no doubt because of a memory charm of sorts. Harry, Ron and Ginny are doing absolutely fine, there is no need to worry about them. I think it is time for you to return to Hogwarts and we can devise a master plan from then onwards. I hope you are safe. Send my love to Severus ( refrain from using the word love, he seems to squirm at any mention of feelings, bless his blasted soul )..Minerva"