chapter seventeen

The hinges were nearly taken off the doors of the Headmistress's office as Severus Snape slammed it open spectacularly. Minerva was startled by his cold civility, and was shocked when he sat in a chair opposite to hers and waited.

Is that normal behaviour for him? She asked her very confused mind. Her appearance from the shadows did not even startle Severus and she was beginning to feel as if he knew something which he shouldn't have known.

Putting a smile on her aging face, Minerva sat in her grand seat and waited for the man to speak. When he glared at her with a murderous gleam, she swallowed hard.

"My dear boy, what brings you here?" She asked with her eyebrow raised. Severus chuckled and gave her a you-know-what-this-is kind of look mixed with an and-if-it's-true-I-might-just-murder-you-with-a-spoon stare. It was not a look one wanted to be on the receiving end of.

"Don't play games with me Minerva. I have heard that you have got spies around for Miss Granger and I. Explain."

"Don't use that tone with me Severus."

The tension in the room was like thin ice. Hermione running into the room with darting eyes and loud panting just made the situation worse. It looked like the beginning of duel at a saloon and from the looks of it, team anyone-except-Minerva was about to win.

"Just explain. All of it Minerva. And please, do not attempt to fool me with lies."

"Explain what?" Hermione looked between the wizard and the witch curiously, sitting herself in a seat next to Severus.

"Precisely what I was asking! Minerva, I trust you to tell me the whole situation, beginning to end. I will try to keep my patience because you are not one of those other imbeciles on the staff-"

"Severus!" Hermione and Minerva exclaimed with looks of surprise on their faces. Hermione could not believe that Severus had insulted her former professors and colleagues like that. He waved it off minimally and looked to Minerva for an explanation.

Minerva sighed. This was how her friendship with Severus was written to end.

"Before I begin, please Severus, understand that this was done in your best intention. You too Hermione. I felt like I had to help. That night you came to me Severus, you were drunk beyond belief and you told me something. You won't remember because as I recall you must have visited at least six bars in a single night."

Severus could remember the night in question but now, he felt panicked. He had let his guard slip. This was not looking good.

"What did I tell you Minerva? Y
Say it, please."

"In front of Hermione?"

Hermione blushed a little bit, as though the conversation which had gone on between the other two was unmentionable.

"Just say it Minerva."

"You told me that you were in love with her."

Hermione glanced at Severus with a small smile. He looked to the floor, fiddling with his fingers, not daring to look into Minerva's eyes.

"I am struggling to understand what my affection for Miss Granger has to do with your spying on us." Severus snapped frustratedly.

Hermione knew something was off. The past few weeks had been a whirlwind of possible danger yet nothing remotely dangerous except from the park incident had happened. Sure they had been forced to chase Huth but according to his apparent capabilities, they should have been dead. The only time Hermione had felt truly apprehensive was when the old lady had tried to stab Severus. But why? Why hadn't she stabbed him earlier?( not that Hermione wanted that to happen ). The woman certainly had the chance to do it so why wait until morning? And that thought brought up one of Minerva, smiling as they left. Why on earth would she be smiling when her students had been abducted?