chapter seven

Just before you read, there is a bit of violence in this chapter and a bit of bad language.

Anya x

It was dark and cold. Dark and cold.

Hermione's head was so painfully loud, her throat was so painfully dry. What happened? She asked herself. She couldn't remember. She tried to open her eyes but it was as if someone had sewn them together with thread. She felt a shackle wound skin tight around her wrist into her flesh.

She tried to cry out but all that came from her mouth was a silent growl from deep in her throat.

The panic was beginning to seep in, and the worry was starting to swirl into her thoughts. She tried again to call out. All she managed was a faint scream, calling out for Severus.

She heard a rustle, a loud one from beside her.

"Severus?"

"Hermione? It's that you? God, I thought they had taken you....he said he would take you...are you okay? Did he touch you?" Severus took sharp breaths in, it was like someone had hit him in the lungs and he was struggling to breath. His voice was perfectly raw with emotion - love, trepidation, a sense of duty.

"No, he didn't. I'm scared Severus, I'm scared." Hermione whispered.

"I know, I know. I'll get you safe Hermione, I promise,"

Severus fumbled around with his shackles, pulling at them, cursing quietly. He needed his wand, but someone had knocked him out and he must've dropped.

"Hermione, check for your wand. Kick around, shuffle a bit." He ordered her with a soft voice. He heard shuffling and then some wild kicking followed by a shriek which startled Severus.

"I've got it Sev! I've got it, I think," Hermione said excitedly. She put the wand in between her lips, and threw her head sideways, letting the wand go too. It landed, unfortunately, right on Severus's face.

"Merlin," He said, pulling his face into a grimace. "Is that your saliva?" He grabbed at the wand, wriggling around, snapping his feet in hopes of catching it with them. A second later, he felt the wand in his grasp.

"Alohamora."

The shackles untied in a heap next to his feet. Severus yanked off the eye mask he wore, instantly moving towards Hermione.

"Severus? Is that you?" Her voice was clear but quiet. Severus kneeled in front of her and with wand in hand, muttered an incantation. The shackles untied themselves from her wrists, forming a messy pile on her lap. She raised her hands to the mask and yanked it off, blinking heavily as her eyes adjusted to the light.

The sky was a patchy yellow and blue with freckles of amber and deep orange. The day was scratching dawn and though it was not unfamiliar territory to both Hermione and Severus who spent many days which turned into nights which turned into days reading, it was unfamiliar in the sense that they had missed a portion of their day, the night.

Hermione pounced on Severus. He was stunned at her fast reflexes, one moment she was looking at the sky and the next she was on his lap, arms around his neck, hugging him.

"Oh Severus.." Hermione's voice was muffled as she held onto him, just as a cub would to its mother. Severus ran his abrasive hand across her hair, his heart beating almost violently, his mind buzzing. They sat there, embracing for a few minutes in harmony, an embrace that was full of relief and pure, undeniable love- from both parties.

Hermione had come to realise that her school girl crush was not so school girl-y. She had feelings for Severus and she could not deny it. It was obvious that when she looked at him, her eyes would sparkle just that bit more, her attention would be just that bit more focused and her heart would beat just that bit more.