chapter one

Dedicated to @severussnapeslover

Thank you for being my first vote <3

Had it been anyone else at his door then he would have ignored it. But it wasn't anyone else. It was her.

"It's happened again."

Severus had barely registered what was coming from Hermione Granger's lips. She looked panicked and had a robe tied tightly around her small body.

"Wait, what's happened?"

Severus rubbed his eyes lazily.

"You really aren't a morning person. A student has been taken again. Thalia Brasswood, third year."

He sighed of frustration. Hogwarts was not safe anymore. Students were disappearing through the night. Although the school was secure and Professor McGonagall had made sure that the school was heavily protected with various charms and spells, the perpetrator had still managed to get through.

"Has the Headmistress been informed?" He asked, stifling a yawn. Hermione bit her lip nervously before shaking her head.

"Why has Minerva not been informed? This an important matter which needs to be discussed with the Headmistress first!" Severus snapped.

Hermione was embarrassed. Why hadn't she gone to the Headmistress after Thalia's roommates reported her missing? She knew why she didn't go to Minerva. It was, simply because she thought of Severus first, and as a true Gryffindor, she did not think to go back on her decision, instead, choosing to stick with it.

"I'm sorry Professor, I didn't think-" Hermione began but the Potions Master interrupted before she could continue

"How truly Gryffindor of you," He sneered. Hermione desperately fought the flush that was crawling up her neck. She walked out of his room annoyed.

"Miss Granger! I must escort you to the Headmistress's office before you decide to let your Gryffindor instincts jeopardize the school."

Hermione looked back at him with frustration clear in her eyes. How could one man infuriate her so much?

Severus smirked knowing that he was annoying Hermione. He loved to see her wound up, it was a sort of entertainment for him. They walked through the stretches of corridors in an eerie silence, only speaking to tell each other the password to Minerva's office.

"Enter."

The comforting voice of Professor Minerva McGonagall was loud yet warm. She was no longer in her chambers, a clear indication that she knew what was going on.

"I have a job for you two, a very important one," began the Headmistress, who donned a long green robe with golden detailing.

"This is getting ridiculous! Students are being abducted from our school right under our noses. I daresay you have figured out the conection between those students? Not yet?"

Hermione racked her brain for information. Of the three students who have disappeared, one was in Hufflepuff, one in Gryffindor and the other in Ravenclaw so a particular house was not being targetted. Thalia Brasswood, Xander Walker and Tessa Smith. What do they have in common? What do they have in common?

It was like a spark had lit in Hermione's brain.

"They're all muggleborn, our kidnapper is targetting muggleborns!" Hermione had shocked herself. She was a muggleborn!

"Indeed. It's muggleborns that are being targetted and I have had too many parents to call and inform about our circumstance. I need your help."

Severus had seen trauma and devastation all his life. It was not new the feeling of anxiety and worry in the pit of his stomach. He had it all his life. He quietly observed the situation as Minerva and Hermione discussed animatedly. He could sort of feel the apprehension come off of Hermione in waves and he wanted to comfort her and help her out of her misery.

He had fallen irrevocably for the know it all. It was her first year as Charms Professor, and her second year back after Voldemort had been defeated ( her first being to re do her seventh year and perfect her N.E.W.Ts ) that he truly began to notice her beauty.

She was friendly to him and wanted to engage in conversation with him. She had said that he was interesting and that she wished to study him like a book. He declined, and although he and a book had the similar characteristics of being learned and intriguing, he had rather not liked the idea of being fully known and open. Severus Snape didn't do best friends or open books for that matter.

It was one particular afternoon where he knew that Hermione had his heart. They were in his library reading. She sat slumped in his armchair ( and damn lucky she was because had he not loved her, then she would be sitting on the floor) reading 'Pride and Prejudice' by Jane Austen smiling contentedly.

She glance up at him and smiled. That was it.

A single smile. He had half smiled back, and looked down at his book. In that moment his heart had pounded harder than ever, and that was saying something. Severus knew that Hermione would never love him with the intensity that he loved her. He had accepted his unrequited love, though it was much harder to admit.

"Hermione, I've got a feeling you know what to do." said Minerva quietly.

//

The Great Hall had been a murmer of anarchy and carnage. Students were afraid and unsafe not forgetting Professor Neville Longbottom who looked more terrified than the children.

News of Thalia Brasswood had spread quicker than petrol and an open flame. Hermione had poked at her roast potatoes and stirred them around her plate all throughout dinner - clearly she was disturbed about the school's current situation.

Hermione carefully chewed her food. The worry was becoming overwhelming, so she excused herself from the table and left. It was time she pulled her sleeves up and began her investigation.

"Huth! What are you doing? Go straight to the Great Hall." She barked at a boy with dark hair and Slytherin robes.

"Yes Miss." He replied as he sunk his head.

Hermione glowed with pleasure as Patrick Huth, a six year Slytherin, walked back to the hall. Maybe she had gained the respect that she wanted to have. She shook her head and walked straight towards Ravenclaw dorms.

///

Severus Snape had decided that he did not want to eat dinner in the Great Hall, rather, he had changed his robes for a shirt and some formal trousers in preparation for a nice meal alone. Solitude was his peace.

Minerva was yet to inform him of her plan to catch the kidnapper and he thought that she was taking the ordeal lightly, considering the children may have been killed.

"Severus! Open up!" A startled voice yelled from behind his door.

"For God's sake can't a man eat his dinner alone!" He shouted back but got up anyway.

He opened the door angrily to find Hermione Granger at his door with a horrified look.

"I know what to do! I mean how to find our kidnapper,"

Severus raised his eyebrows.

"I went to Thalia's dorm, where she was last seen, and I just sat on her bed. I was thinking of possible ways to enter the school, how they could be found and I thought fingerprints! But no kidnapper is dumb enough to leave fingerprints, no and especially not what we are dealing with. So I thought what else?"

She brought out a plastic bag with a small hair in it.

"Impressive," Severus acknowledged with a small smile.

"Let's go."

A/N
New chapter :) I'm trying to upload as regularly as possible. I hope you enjoy <3

love
anya