chapter five

Severus had spent many nights alone, in fact, almost every night of his life he spent in solitude. He had never shared a bed, not even with his parents. He was used to waking up to the cold surface of the bed. As he awoke, for a moment or two, he was confused by the lump next to him. Then he realised that it was just Hermione sleeping quietly.

Hermione was wrapped around his waist with her head resting gently on his chest. Instinctively, he had put his arms around her small body. He wasn't to blame at all, he was in love with her and he longed for her touch on his body. It was so wrong to him, being deeply in love with a former student but he loved her so much, more than he ever thought was capable. Somehow, throughout all the espionage, the suspicious looks, he felt as if she trusted him and didn't mind his company at all.

He was a hard shell but he had a heart and a soul and a longing to be loved.

Severus decided not to move. He wanted to relish the feeling before it was over.

"You have bewitched me Hermione" He whispered softly. She could not hear him but he wanted to say it. Her hair was sprawling in a lot of directions over his chest, her features sticking out so gorgeously as she slept. Her nose was cute, her eyelashes thick like her bushy hair and her pink lips. Oh! Her lips were heavenly. He wanted to kiss her passionately and hold her in his arms. He wanted her so much that it hurt him. It was out of character for him to be so love sick over a woman, let alone a girl who had once called him professor.

He shrugged it off. It was better for him to just fall asleep than be plagued with thoughts about her, thoughts that caused nothing but pain and heartache.

///

Hermione was surprised at the way Beatrice's was run. Beatrice, the owner, looked over the whole building and for some unknown reason, liked to bring all the guests a basket filled with sweets, chocolates and really just anything that contained sugar. She was very nice, she had a sweetness about her, but there was something else about the way she spoke to Hermione, which gave her chills.

That morning, she and Severus made their way down for breakfast at around eight am. They were dressed differently as opposed to their normal attire. Hermione wore tight jeans and a plaid flannel and he wore a black collared shirt with black trousers. They looked good, and all the couples at breakfast watched enviously and they goggled at each other, both obviously unaware of it.

"Where should we begin in our investigation Severus? I'm not sure how we will go about it but I've read a few books about tracking devices and spells. They are awfully interesting aren't they?" Hermione was always excited when she spoke about reading. She couldn't get enough of it. She read everywhere- school, home, buses, trains- you name it, any place decent and Hermione had probably read there.

She was hoping for an answer but Severus carried on eating his toast. She carried on watching him eat, that was, until a trickle of jam ran down his chin. He looked down from her gaze, swiped off the jam and licked his finger. Hermione wondered what it would be like to kiss him at that exact moment. Would he taste sweet like sugar, sticky like the jam that he had consumed or just intoxicating? I really have it bad she thought disappointedly. He finished his toast, took a large sip of his orange juice and sighed.

"Upstairs Hermione, not infront of these muggles." A lady turned look at them.

"Shh, these muggles have ears too!" She exclaimed as she noticed the blonde wide-eyed lady staring at them. She awkwardly smiled at her before looking down at her table.

///

Severus tried desperately to hide his amusement as Hermione spoke and spoke and spoke about spells. He understood her want of knowledge and a sort of familiarity with the wizarding world. In honesty, she was remarkably talented for a muggleborn, even whilst at Hogwarts but he would have rather got on with his task than to hear her thoughts on levitational charms.