I Thought We Were Good

He was exasperated, "Can't what?"

She unfolded her arms, her hands on her hips, "This! Talk to you, I can't....its...its too hard" she said through tears, "Just please, leave me alone Adam...please?"

"Miss, you okay here?" The bouncer asked, Adam cut him a look.

She wiped her eyes and nodded, "Yes, thank you" she said softly and got into the waiting cab.

Adam watched the cab as it left the bar, his heart with it.

He turned on his heels and went back inside, Kevin met him at the bar, "Didya talk?" Kevin asked, he was hopeful.

Adam flagged the bartender down and ordered a shot, "I guess, though we didn't say much" it felt like a circular conversation, nothing new had been said.

Kevin scanned the crowded bar, "Where is she?"

"She left, and I'm leaving too" he told him as he tossed some money on the bar, "I'm not in the mood, sorry.."

"How're you getting home?" He had driven in with him and Jay.

"Walk" he hoped the cold would make him numb.

"Ruzek, your apartment is a long way from here and it's cold as hell" he shivered at the thought of walking the thirty plus blocks to Adam's apartment, "your balls are gonna freeze"

Adam shrugged, "I'll be fine"

He knew he needed to say something, both of them were miserable and he was tired of watching his best friends suffer, "Adam, wait!"

Adam turned to face him, "What?" His shoulders slumped and his eyes sad. His voice devoid of emotion, he sounded exhausted. Exhausted and heartbroken.

"Don't give up on her man, don't let her walk away" Kevin expressed, "She loves you"

Adam nodded, and walked out.

She stared at the alarm clock on the nightstand, she'd been watching the red numbers for what seemed like hours, but it had only been fifteen minutes.

It was 3:27.

She had tried to fall asleep, but Adam's face haunted her dreams. The sadness in his eyes was overwhelming, knowing she was the reason why made her sick to her stomach.

Why did she give him the ring back?

Yes, he was seriously dragging his feet, but she knew he loved her.

She loved him, she missed him.

She'd always been impulsive, and that trait may have just ruined her life.

He still couldn't feel his feet, he was certain they were frozen. He tried sleeping but it was a fucking joke, he couldn't sleep.

Kim wasn't by his side, he couldn't sleep without her.

He turned the television back on, hoping something had changed in the last ten minutes and something would be on.

He settled on re-runs of The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air and grabbed a beer from the fridge, and laid down on the couch. He couldn't sleep in his bed, not when Kim wasn't with him, not with the memories of nights spent together, being together. The couch would have to do, truth be told everywhere in the apartment held memories of her. He couldn't escape her, and he really didn't want to.

The drive was rough, she was beginning to regret her decision.

Not the decision to see him, but rather her timing.