Adam Don't Go

SIX WEEKS LATER

Her one bedroom apartment was over run with baby items, LJ had more clothes than she'd ever be able to wear. Kim didn't know who was worse Adam or Erin, anytime Adam saw something even remotely 'girlie' for the Cubs or Hawks he bought, some of it she wouldn't be able to wear until she was four.

Erin bought almost every dress in nearly every shade of color, most of it designer labels, things Kim would never buy. She couldn't wrap her mind around spending upwards of sixty dollars on a dress LJ would wear once or twice.

Though that didn't seem to bother Erin, she would tell her that Lily 'deserved the best of everything', while Kim agreed with the sentiment she didn't think it applied to clothing.

She heard Adam come through the front door, he was still having memory issues and working with the therapist to try and get a handle on it. For now he was relying on notes and recorded reminders on his phone.

She hated seeing him struggle with it, and knew he was really frustrated still unable to work and his career  in question.

After all how good of a police officer could he be if he was prone to forget vital information.

She put the stack of Lily's clothes on the dresser and quickly peaked in on her sleeping infant before greeting Adam.

"Come here" Adam held his arms open for her, "I've missed you, how's baby girl?" He kissed her forehead.

"Sleeping" Kim inhaled the cologne he was wearing, "how was your session?"

Adam sighed and released her, "Frustrating" he grabbed a bottle of water from the fridge, "It's really frustrating when I can't remember simple shit" today it was the color purple, his therapist held the swatch of color in front of him and he drew a complete blank, "I feel like an ass" but that wasn't what had set him on edge.

Kim grabbed his hand, "Adam, you're recovering from a brain injury, it's going to get better"

He hung his head, "I couldn't remember our girl, Kim" he said softly, his eyes filling with unshed tears, his therapist had held up a picture of Lily and he didn't recognize her the first time she had shown him, the second time he did. It didn't make him feel any better, he felt like shit for forgetting one of the most important people in his life.

"Adam..." She was heartbroken for him, "you didn't forget her.." She could see the turmoil in his eyes and hear it in his voice.

He rose from the table interrupting her mid sentence, "I'm gonna head over to my place, kiss Lily for me"

"Adam, don't go" she spoke, she knew he needed to be with them, "Lily will be waking up soon and she misses you"

He looked at his feet, "Kim, I just need some space.." He pulled the door closed behind him.

They'd never officially declared  that they were living together it just kind of evolved, into that.Adam needed support when he first came home so he stayed with her, once Lily was born it just made sense for him to stay, but the last few weeks he'd been spending more time at his apartment. She felt as if he was pulling away from her, not because he didn't love her but from some misguided belief that she deserved better. That he was damaged and not worthy of her or Lily.

She was about to chase after him when she heard Lily's shrill cry scream out over the monitor, she glanced at the door before retrieving her very pissed off daughter.