She's Tough...Like Her Daddy

"Temp is 103.6 Dr.Halstead" the nurse reported, Lily's seizing successfully stopped with medication.

"Start her on ibuprofen, get the fever under control" Will stroked the infant's foot, "I want labs drawn, a chest x-ray, and let's test for the flu and RSV" he ordered, "I'm going to talk to her parents"

Kim was certain Adam was going to wear a groove into the floor from his incessant pacing, "Adam, please come sit down" she begged him, his pacing was unnerving her.

He stopped on a dime and turned to face her, his hands jammed in his pockets, "I can't sit, I'm going crazy. I feel so fucking helpless" he said through clenched teeth, seeing her beautiful eyes roll back in her head as she convulsed was like a dagger to his heart, "she has to be alright, Kim. She has to be" his voice trailing off as he struggled to keep his emotions in check.

He finally sat in the seat next to her, wrapping his arm around her, "What's taking so long?" He asked, patience was never his strong suit and it was even worse when it was his daughter's health in question.

She rubbed her hand over his back, "Adam, why do you keep leaving us?" She needed to know what was going through his head, "we love you"

He nodded, avoiding her gaze, "I'm a joke, Kim. I can't remember shit, sometimes I feel like a little kid, you deserve better and so does Lily" he told her, "It kills me, but the last thing I want to be is a burden"

Kim leaned closer to him, wrapping her arm around him, "You aren't a burden, you're the man I love, the father of my baby. You're recovering from brain surgery Adam, it's not going to be better over night. I'm okay with that, I want to help you. I love you and I need you with me, always" she told him.

"Adam, Kim.." Will called out, waving them over, "let's go see Lily" he smiled warmly at the them, the pair racing towards him.

Kim held Adam's arm, "Is she okay?" She asked.

Will opened the door for them, their little girl sleeping soundly in the crib, "We've started her on IV fluids, she was a little dehydrated, we've also given her ibuprofen to reduce her fever"

"A seizure, that's what it was, right?" Adam interrupted him.

"Yes" Will told him, "it was what we call a febrile seizure, her body temperature spiked, causing the seizure. As scary as they are it's not uncommon in children, she'll have to be monitored closely from now on, but she's stable"

"What caused it?"'Kim needed to know.

"We're waiting on some test results, but I suspect we're dealing with a case of RSV, I'd like to admit her for the next few days and see how she does"

It wasn't what he wanted to hear, "Is this RSV?" He had never heard the term "is it bad?"

Kim spoke up, "I've read about it, it can be serious, can't it?"

Will touched her arm, "It can be, but I think we caught it early. She's gonna be okay, all of this is precautionary" he smiled, "My brother's girlfriend will kill me if I don't provide the best care possible for her" everyone knew Erin was crazy about Lily.

Kim laughed, "That is true" she looked into the crib, "Can I hold her?"

"Of course you can" Will smiled, "I will give you guys some privacy, and if it's alright with you I'll let Erin and Jay know she's here, okay?"

Adam shook his hand, "That's fine, thanks Will. For everything"

"How is she?" Adam asked as Kim snuggled in the rocking chair with Lily, Adam hated seeing the IV in her tiny hand, a sort of splint attached to her wrist to protect it. He rubbed the top her head, what once was covered in soft brown hair was now completely bald, he kissed her head.