Well? What is It?

SEVERAL DAYS LATER

"They're letting you out?" Kim asked as Jay and Erin stood before her in Adam's room, it had become her temporary home. Erin had picked up some clothes for her and she'd shower in the doctors on call suite.

Jay nodded, "Yeah, I think they're sick of me to be honest" he knew he was a shit patient, "any change with Adam?" His friend still looked awful, actually he looked worse then he did the night of the accident.

Kim looked sullen, "No, but they say it's a good thing. They've started weaning him off the vent, and they'll bring him out of sedation tomorrow I think" her days had all run together and she wasn't sure if she was coming or going.

"How are you?" Erin asked her, "have you been sleeping at all?"

Kim smiled, "A little bit" she lied she hadn't slept more than a few minutes every few hours, each time she drifted off to sleep she had horrible nightmares that she lost Adam.

Kevin came through the door, "Burgess, you need to leave" he told her, "I will sit with Adam, you need to go home, take a shower and get some sleep in your own bed"

Kim started to argue, Erin grabbed her arm, "Let's go, I'll drive you home"

"Let me tell him goodbye" Kim didn't have the energy to fight them. She stood beside his bed, "Adam, I'm just going home for a little while. I will be back soon" she stood on her toes and kissed his cheek, wishing she could feel his lips on hers, the tube for the ventilator removing that as an option.

She looked over at Kevin, "Promise you'll call me if anything changes?"

Kevin hugged her, "Of course I will Burgess, you know that. Adam'll be fine"

Once in the apartment, the idea of a shower was exhilarating, she quickly undressed and climbed in letting the warm water cascade all over her, washing the 'hospital funk' away.

She finally allowed herself to cry, she sat on the built in seat and her body convulsed as she cried for all that had happened. From the called off wedding, her very unexpected pregnancy, and Adam's accident. She'd give anything to see his chocolate brown eyes again and hear his voice. What she really wanted to hear was her name cross his lips, she wanted to feel his hands on her.

She pulled her favorite pair of sweats out of a drawer and one of Adam's t shirts that had somehow gotten left behind and quickly dressed, she was thankful it was left behind. It had been months since he'd worn it, but just knowing that he had worn it in the past was enough for her.

Her whole body ached, carefully she climbed into the bed. She relished the feel of the plush pillow top and the pillows Adam had insisted on buying despite the hundred dollar price tag.

Before she knew it she was out cold, the stress of the last handful of days finally hitting her.

Kevin was shocked that Kim hadn't returned yet, it was nearly ten and she'd been gone since just after noon, and he was starting to worry.

"Hey Lindsay, Burgess isn't back yet. Have you heard from her" he nodded as Erin replied, "thanks, will you call me back once you've gotten in touch with her?" He paused, "No change, the doctor was just in here, they're removing the vent in the morning"

He was about to hang up, when the door flew open, "Kevin I'm so sorry" Kim apologized profusely.

"She's here" Kevin informed Erin.

Kim went to Adam's bedside, and began her normal routine. She checked his chart, quickly reading the nurses' notes and his vital signs. For a long time she flirted with the idea of being a nurse, the medical field fascinating her but the police force ultimately winning out.

"Doctor was here a little while ago, he said he looks good. They're taking him off the vent first thing in the morning" Kevin told her, "I hope you slept"

Kim kissed Adam's cheek, her fingers lightly brushing his cheek, "I did sleep, I can't believe how tired I really was" she was nearing the end of her pregnancy and it was really kicking her ass.

"You still want me to come to your appointment tomorrow?" Kevin asked, knowing how much she wished it was Adam who was going.

Kim looked over her shoulder at him, "You don't mind do you? I just don't want to go alone" she told him, "and Erin is busy with Jay"

"Burgess, I'm excited to go!" He told her, "I can't wait to meet that little stinker, gonna help me with the ladies. They'll love 'Uncle Kevin', and won't be able to resist me" he laughed, "it's good to see you smile again, Kim. It's been too long" he told her when he watched the smile fill her face.

THE NEXT DAY

Kim paced in the hallway as the doctors removed the ventilator, briefly peaking in the window.

"Come on in" the doctor told her, "everything went well and he's breathing on his own, he did great and his vitals are strong" he glanced back at Adam, "he should be waking up shortly, obviously we won't know for sure until he wakes up, but I'm not anticipating any long term effects from the brain injury. He's lucky"

Once the room cleared out Kim couldn't help herself, she placed a gentle kiss on Adam's lips, "I love you" she told him, for what seemed like the millionth time since the accident. She didn't think she could ever tell him enough, she didn't know what this meant for them but suddenly the idea of marriage wasn't as important as it had been.

All that mattered to her was that he was alive and well, and she wouldn't spend another minute without him in her life, and the life of their baby.

Kevin knocked on the door, Antonio with him, "You ready?" He asked Kim, "Dawson's gonna sit with Adam while you're at your appointment" he told her.

Kim was grateful, the idea of leaving Adam alone left her uncomfortable, "Thank you Antonio" she hugged him, "please call me if he wakes up"

"I will" he told her, "good luck"

"Thanks" she turned back to Adam's bed, "I'll be back Adam, going to check on our little one" the baby had been very active lately which only added to her level of discomfort.

"Thanks for coming, it means a lot" Kim told him after he returned to the exam room once the doctor finished the internal exam, "you ever see an ultrasound before?"

"Nah, never." He told her.

The doctor dimmed the lights and started the scan, "How's Adam?"

"Better, they've removed the ventilator, just waiting for him to wake up" she told the doctor her eyes transfixed on the monitor, "can you see what it is?"

He nodded, "I can. You sure? There's no going back" he smiled.

"This is wild Burgess, like the coolest shit I've ever seen" he said in awe of what he was witnessing, "Sorry doc"

He laughed, "it's fine, it's kind of mind blowing isn't it?"

"Yea"

Kim smiled at her friend, "Well? What is it?"

---NOTE---

I still haven't decided if it'll be a boy or girl..

So, it may take a day or two for another update.

Offer your suggestions on what it should be and why...

That one Burzek scene last night killed me....