I Didn't Run Her Off

"Pregnant?" Trudy's tone shifting, a warm and comforting tone replaced the gruff and cold tone she had just mere seconds ago, "how far along?"

Kim shifted in the chair, "Three months, just found out. I thought you needed to know, that way I can transfer to a desk job. I know it's protocol" she was dreading telling her it was Adam's, she hoped she wouldn't ask.

Her hopes quickly dashed.

"Is it that dumbass's kid? Doesn't he know about covering that thing?" She was as crude as could be but she made no apologies about it.

Kim nodded softly, "He doesn't know, and I'd like it to stay that way"

Trudy arched her eyebrow, "I'm not sure that's wise, but I'll respect your wishes. Burgess, you can do this, you'll make a great mom. I'd hate to see you do this alone, Adam should be helping"

She shook her head from side to side, "I don't need him, he doesn't want this and I won't subject my baby to have a father who doesn't care."

"I think you're being a bit harsh, Ruzek isn't my favorite but I think you're short changing him, and that baby" Trudy explained.

"You're entitled to your opinion" she said flatly, "can I trust you? You won't tell Adam?"

Trudy nodded in agreement, "I won't but I think you should"

"Understood" Kim said before standing to leave.

"I'll get started on your transition to a desk" she told her, "but I gotta ask how are you going to explain it to Adam?"

That was one thing she hadn't thought of, "I'll figure it out"

A FEW WEEKS LATER

Jay held up the stack of magazine, he was reaching panic attack levels. Why the fuck did his girlfriend have a stack of baby magazines and catalogs in her office.

Was he missing something, a very big, life changing something.

Surely he hadn't and she would have told him if she was pregnant.

"Hey, Erin" he said from the doorway, "can you explain these?"

He watched the color drain from her face, "You're pregnant? Just when did you plan on telling me? I thought you were on the pill?"

Erin knew she needed to tell him, "I can explain"

"I'm waiting" he huffed tossing the magazines on her desk.

"I'm not pregnant" she said softly thumbing through the stack.

"Care to explain those?"

She went to him and placed her hands on his hips, "You can't say anything..to anyone"

He nodded for her to continue, "Kim's pregnant."

She watched the wheels turn in his head, coming to the obvious conclusion, "It's Ruzek's isn't it?"

She sighed, "It is"

"Does he know?"

"No, he doesn't, and you can't tell him. Kim doesn't want him to know" Erin wished she'd change her mind.

"What? How can she not tell him, he deserves to know. I don't know if I can keep it from him. This is seriously fucked up, Kim can't keep this from him. She's wrong, dead wrong!"