Chapter One Hundred Twenty-Five

Dani's P.O.V.

Once Eli leaves Sam's office, Sam and I sit in silence for a minute or two. I don't know what she's thinking about or doing, but I'm trying to decide if I should be brave and just ask for her help. It's not like I have anyone else I can talk to about what's currently on my mind. There's no way I can ask Connie or Maria, so Sam is really the only option I have. Well, I could keep it to myself, but that hasn't gone so well for me in the past.

I take a deep breath but Sam preempts me talking by asking, "Is everything ok with you and Eli, Dani?"

I can feel my eyes widen at how she can just know, but then I say, "I need some help and I don't know who else to talk to."

"You can talk to me about anything, you know that. You can't talk to Eli?"

"Not really. It's too awkward; for both of us."

"Ok, so what do you want me to help with?"

"If I tell you something, you won't tell anyone, will you?"

She smiles softly at me, "Honey, I'm not allowed to tell anyone anything you say in here. Even if I wasn't bound by the law, I still wouldn't say anything. You've shown a level of trust in me to be able to talk to me and I wouldn't betray that."

I nod and quietly speak, "Eli asked me to marry him..."

I'm shocked at how easily the words slip from my mouth. I honestly thought I would struggle more with saying that.

Sam's smile is much brighter when she hears what I say, but then she asks, "And how do you feel about that? Did you give him an answer?"

I shake my head, "I haven't answered. He actually told me not to answer. He told me to think carefully before saying anything."

"But you didn't say no?"

"No ma'am."

"That's a good sign. Before, you would have run away from him for asking such a thing."

"I know."

"So, what are you struggling with?"

I admit slowly, "I love him, I've realized that I do love him. But if I marry him, then he'll expect... certain things... from me.... Things that I can't...do...."

"Is that the only thing that is stopping you from saying yes?"

I shrug. "I can't see myself allowing anyone else get as close to me as Eli is. I can't see him not being in my life, but... I'm scared."