Chapter Forty-Nine

Chapter Forty-Nine

Dani

Eli's dad is here again. I'm sort of getting used to him popping in every day. I wouldn't say I'm comfortable in his presence, but I'm not as uncomfortable as I used to be. He's talking to Eli while they eat more cake. I'm making coffee for them and tea for me and my mind is wandering when I hear my name being called. I jump a little, not really expecting it. I turn around quickly and ask, “Yes sir?”

I don't know who called me, so I'll go with the safe option of 'sir'.

“My pops asked if you wanted to go to dinner tomorrow afternoon...?”

“Oh.”

I don't know how to say no. I don't mind so much if it's just going to be us, but if anyone else is going to be there I don't know if I'm ready for that. It's like Eli reads my mind and he says, “It'll just be us and my folks. Possibly Ash too. No one else though, Dani.”

I think for a few seconds and Don says, “Connie is looking forward to seeing you again. She asks about you often...”

“Does she know....?”

“No, she doesn't know anything. She doesn't even know I'm here every day. I promised I wouldn't say anything and I will keep that promise.”

I nod a little and then whisper, “Ok.”

I have to try; I can't keep disappointing Eli and myself. I'll be off these drugs by Tuesday and I don't know how I'll react when I'm not on them. I best make the most of the slight calm in my mind.

I hear Eli breathe, “Thanks baby.”

Eli takes his dad home and stays for a training session. While he's gone, the weird phone calls return. They've been happening quite a lot since I've been at home. There's no talking, just someone breathing down the phone. At first I thought it was a wrong number or someone pocket dialing, but the odds of that happening continually are extremely slim or maybe even zero.

When Eli returns, I'm sitting at the breakfast bar clutching my mug of tea, which has now gone cold. I see Eli approach me slowly and he whispers, “Dani? You ok?”

“Yes sir.”

“Sure? Something seems to be bothering you.”

I whisper, “They're back...”

“Who's back?”

I see the alarm on his face and he searches the room for anything out of place.

“The telephone calls... They've started again...”

He lets out a deep breath and then asks, “When did they start?”

“Over a week ago. Pretty much since I've been home.”

“Did you delete the messages?”

“At first, yes. But today's ones are still on the machine.”

“Ok. I'm going to take the tape in to work on Monday and we'll see what we can find on it. Ok?”

“Yes sir. It's probably nothing, right?”

“Probably. But it doesn't hurt to check. Ash is going to dinner tomorrow. He was happy to hear you'd be there as well. You know it's going to be ok, don't you? I'll make sure you're safe.”

I give him a small smile. I know he'll try to make sure I'm safe, but he can't protect me from myself. I stand up, trying to rid myself of depressing thoughts and I ask, “Should we watch a movie?”