Chapter Eleven: Perry/ Aaron

Perry 

Slowly opening my eyes, I glanced over to see Aaron sleeping next to me on the bed. After squinting at the small clock next to his bed, I realized it was only two thirty in the morning. This was the longest I had slept in a very long time, I was lucky to get two hours a night.

Closing my eyes again, I tried to drift back into sleep when my eyes suddenly flew open. Quickly rushing out of the room, I glanced around the dark hallway before ending up in a bathroom. After what seemed like my entire stomach was in the toilet, I rubbed my tired eyes before rinsing my mouth out with water.

Walking back into the dark hallway, I started making my way back to Aaron's room when a bright light caught my attention. Deciding to walk towards it, I ended up in front of a pretty room filled with flowers. Flower wallpaper, fake flowers on the dresser, and flower blankets. It was then that I noticed Aaron's mom sitting in the middle of the floor, boxes around her.

Deciding this was a personal moment; I turned around and tried to make a quiet exit when my body collided with the wall. "Ow."

That made her turn around, giving me a gentle smile. "Hello Perry," she said while motioning me to come over. "You can come in here."

"A-are you sure?" I stuttered while nervously standing by the door, not wanting to intrude on something that looked so personal.

"Of course."

When she gave me another smile I walked into the room and sat next to her on the floor. My eyes gravitated down towards the floor, where pictures were scattered all around her. I gently picked up one picture, instantly recognizing a smiling Aaron. He was standing next to a taller girl, who had her arms wrapped around his body. "Those two were basically glued to the hip."

Glancing over, I watched as Aaron's mom's eyes fell as she continued looking at the picture. So this is Liza's room, I thought while glancing around the pretty room. "Did she like flowers?" I asked, trying to get to a happier topic.

"Oh she loved them," she said while looking around the room. "Flowers used to make her so happy; she always said she wanted to be a florist. That's why Aaron's room is pink you know," she said with a small smile.

"He didn't choose that color himself?"

When she started talking I turned my body towards her to see a large smile on her pretty face. "Oh heavens no. Aaron wanted to repaint his room because he thought it looked too little kiddish. Liza had taken him to the store to help him pick out colors. He told me that on their way to the store, Liza fell head over heals in love with a bouquet of pink roses someone was selling on the street. Aaron he had never seen her so happy, and always wanted to remember her being that happy. So they went to the store and picked out a few colors, but he knew he already wanted a light pink, the same color as those roses. When Liza saw the finished room she screamed and hugged him so tightly, I thought he was going to explode. He may not like the color pink, but he'll always remember her by that."

She looked down at her hands, which had started shaking. "Ever since she was a little girl I had been thinking about who she was going to marry, if she was going to have kids. She was so bright and special; I only wanted the best for her." Her eyes started filling with tears as she continued to look around the room before saying, "I never wanted this for her."

When I was about to say something, she suddenly pulled a small box out from under the bed. Without saying anything she handed me the box and nodded for me to open it. Opening the lid, my heart stopped when I saw a small picture of Liza lying in a hospital bed. There were sores all over her mouth and up and down her arms. This looks like me.