Chapter 9- Meeting [Vikk]

Pete leads the way through the town. I spot Mat, sitting in a market square chatting to Mitch. It makes me smile, seeing them again after so long.

Soon, we arrive at a house near the centre of the town. Pete opens the door for us and we walk through, finding ourselves in a hallway, lined with various plants. He walks ahead of us and opens a door.

Inside, sitting on a table, is Choco.

And he's kissing Kenny.

I gasp, and look at Pete, but he just looks at them, eyebrows raised, and does a little cough.

"Ahem! Choco, we have newcomers."

Kenny looks up and leaps backwards, cheeks bright pink. He then quickly walks out of the room.

"I'll er, leave you to it."

What? Kenny and Choco? Back in season 3... It was Kenny and Pete! For goodness sake, Pete even killed Ali to save Kenny's life!

I know none of them have their memories, but thought the relationships would be the same...

Well.

Mine and Lachlan's certainly didn't stay the same...

Choco, stands up and straightens his jacket.

"Sorry about that. Now, Pete, who's this?"

"They turned up at the gate. They're from the village, though. They left before you woke up, apparently."

Choco turns to us, smiling warmly.

"Oh! Okay! Well, um, make yourselves at home, I guess. I suppose the wilderness was a bit dangerous for you. It definitely is for us! But don't worry, we've got lots of protection here. Pete, can you introduce them to the others, and find them a place to stay?"

Pete nods.

"okay, then. What are your names, by the way? I'm Pete."

We leave Choco's house and introduce ourselves to Pete. He smiles.

"So I suppose most people will be at the market right now. We don't actually sell anything there, we share most things in this village, but it's like a meeting spot for us."

He leads us down a path. It opens out into a little cobbled square, very similar to the market place from season 3. I gulp, remembering the awful things that happened there.

I turn away, and look at the scene before me. Nade is bleeding, and on his knees, growing weaker and weaker by the second. The two reds are relentless.

I spot Rob fall, tumbling back on the cobblestone. The two reds charge, and I pull out my bow and fire two shots.

They both trip, and clutch their arms, temporarily disabled. I grab Rob by the arm and haul him away, stumbling and tripping on the stones. Rob looks back.

"Nade..."

"We can't, Rob. They're too powerful. We can't save him." My eyes fill with tears as we run, arrows flying around us. Blood forms a trail behind us as we dash across our bridge.

This square seems to have a very different air to it. The colourful tents above the unused stalls shine brightly in the afternoon sun. I see Jerome and Mitch hugging at one of them, and at another Kenny, Brayden and Mat are talking amongst themselves. Kenny looks up, noticing us approaching them.

He Walks towards us, and holds out a hand to me.

"Hi! I hear you're new here. I'm Kenny."

I shake it.

"I'm Vikk."

He introduces us to the others, and Mitch and Jerome come over too.

"I hope you'll be okay here. There aren't many people who live here, but we're happy."

Brayden says, smiling warmly at us.

I've decided not to tell them about knowing about before. Speedy and Side know too. I don't really want to have to describe our war. Everyone seems pretty happy here, and I don't want to cause problems.

"Hey, where are Lachy and Preston? They said they'd be here by now."

Mitch says.

Jerome smirks.

"Probably off making out in an alleyway or something."

My heart drops into my stomach.

I know that they're together... but it still hurts. To know that Lachlan... loves somebody else.

I try not to let it show on my face, though. Out of the corner of my eye, I can see Speedy looking at me, slightly concerned, but I plaster a smile on my face.

"So, uh, Pete, do we get a house to stay in?"

Mat jumps up.

"There's a spare house near mine, if you want to check that out. I'm guessing you guys want separate ones?"

I nod, but Speedy and Side just shrug.

"We're fine with sharing a house. It'll probably be easier."

Mat smiles.

"Okay! Wanna follow me?"

"Uh, Vikk you go ahead. Me and Side'll stay here for a bit."

Speedy says.

Mat glances at me, and we walk across the cobblestones, back past the clock tower.

Then we turn a corner.

And I swear my heart stops.

Because there he is.

Lachlan.