Chapter 4

All the other people probably just stick around out of pity, I mean, I would totally be average if weren't deaf. In my opinion, every function of the human body is a quality, some are necessary and important for living, like the heart, but there are also qualities you could life without, like hearing and seeing. I'm just a normal high school student with less qualities than others. Some even think of it as a curse, but that was just in an online forum full of really weird people, so that's normally not a place I hang out too often.

I catch up to Claire, who started to walk in a really fast pace, almost leaving me behind.

"God dammit! Slow it down would you.", she doesn't pay attention and keeps on speed walking through the overcrowded halls. I sigh as I try to make my way through a group of students standing in the middle of the path, when suddenly I hit something (or let's say someone) and almost fall over.

I catch myself and look up at the person I bumped. My jaw drops and eyes widen, of course it just had to be the black haired jerk from this morning. His green eyes stare at me in a terrifying way, sending chills down my spine.

"Oh, if it isn't the idiot!", this times he talks slower, probably in a sneering manner. I dodge his glare, searching for Claire in the crowd of students that formed around us. There she is, her blue eyes flash in anger as she comes speed walking to us and kicking the taller boy on his knee. He drops to the floor for a second but gets right back up, ready to bark something out. Her face was turned so I could see what she was saying:

"What the hell is your problem?! I don't even know you, neither do you know him, because if you would have thought for a second then maybe your stupid brain would have been able to put two and two together. Sky is deaf, you moron, and if you talk like a jet from the U.S. Air Force, there is no way he could read your lips!", her hands are tightened to fists, ready to beat him up.

(Fun Fact: She is known to be the most aggressive girl in our school, she used to do karate and she actually beat up two guys before, because they were picking on me.)

The boy's expression changes and he looks at me in shock, his face turns slightly red and he lowers his gaze. He started to talk but I already took of, running towards our class. A lot of people look at me, both in amusement and pity. I enter the already half filled room and sit down on my seat next to the window on the right side. Soon after, Claire comes rushing in, directly to me.

Damnit I just want to disappear right now! She lifts my chin in her direction as I don't look at her.

"I talked to him and I didn't even punch his pretty-boy-face, so there are two things you can thank me for.", she laughs. I don't, really not in the mood right now.

Yet again, a girl had to save me, if this continues I'll never gain confidence to talk to people I can't deal with (That basically covers everyone talking fast and I don't know, and people that seem like idiots)

"He said he wanted to apologize for what he did and said. I told him, I would ask you first. Do you wanna meet up with him?", I quickly shake my head in denial.

"You can't run away from everything, what if I moved away from here and changed schools, what would you do without me? You need to be more independent.", she starts to grin as she continues talking,

"That's why I told him, you would meet up for a talk at a café downtown."As I stare at the devilishly smirking girl in front of me, the fear of being alone with him for more than mere seconds starts to drive me crazy.

"Wait, what?! You can't do that to me! I hate that guy! Can't I just text him?", Claire laughs her blue eyes sparkling like a river in sunlight

"No, you can't, I want you to meet in the real world, not on WhatsApp! Understood?". her hands are on her hips.

"You can't make me!", with that the teacher of our first period enters the room and starts class with a short speech about the upcoming school festival we celebrate. Every class has to do something, either perform a play or sing or even cook. This is also the time where a lot of kids from other schools come to check out the different highschools in this area. I didn't really care about what the others wanted to do, as long as I could be a part in the background, I was fine with everything. My thoughts quickly drift off to the black haired boy, his expression when he found out about it, maybe he is really sorry about what he had said. But even so, I really didn't want to hang out with him without Claire or even my little sister keeping us company. Actually, if you think about it, that sounds pretty childish and also like a huge coward, but I'm just too afraid to be with other people other than those two. On the other hand though, what could possibly happen, it's not like he's a killer or something.

That reminds me though, I still don't know his name. I stare out of the window onto the big football field. Nobody's outside right now, probably because everyone has classes they have to attend to. I really don't want to be here at the moment, unlike other kids, I can't just do something else while listening to what the teacher has to say about the history of world war one, my eyes have to stay glued to his lips for the whole lesson, which is really annoying. But that was the downside of me being able to still go to this school. Normally, I would have to attend a special environment for deaf kids, but to be perfectly honest, that would have been even worse. Living in complete silence isn't easy, especially when you're used to hearing and stuff, before all of this, I even used to be more social, going home with other kids, asking girls out or just talk with friends on the phone for hours. I wouldn't say that the people I used to know before changed a lot, but they certainly helped me get through my time of depression. I think about it as the dark year, in this period of time, I hardly ever even left my room, I didn't eat that much, I didn't talk to my family, the only person that came by almost ever day was Claire. She usually brought me something of my favorite snacks and even the copied notes of the stuff they'd been doing. She would teach me everything they'd learn, so I could continue being in the same class as her. She really was the light at the end of the "dark year tunnel". But then there was this incident, right after I had lost my hearing, which triggered me even more into self harm and depression, their faces still haunt my dreams sometimes, keeping me awake for days on end. Due to my lack of sleep, nutriment and hydration, my health turned it's back on me, leaving me with colds, high fevers and the flue quite often.

I stare at the teacher standing in front of the class, he looks at us through his round thick glasses, especially at me.