.002

"I'll be right back, okay love," I say standing. She blushes and ducks her head, making me chuckle. Exiting the room, I look to the left and see Susan standing there with the officer. I raise an eyebrow at them and she motions me over.

"Here is all of her records on file," she hands me a manila folder. Opening it, I read down the list of all her information.

Name: Blake Jacobs

Birthday: January 23, 2006

Allergies: Pears

Medical History: Born two weeks early, 5 lbs 2 oz. Stayed in hospital for two months until proper weight. Ten months old, brought in for allergic reaction.

I look up at Susan with a furrowed brow, "This is all there is? She's not had anything done since?"

"Her father never took her into the doctor, obviously," she points to the child. I look in and frown when I see her deeply bruised cheeks. Sighing, I continue reading the rest of the single page in the folder.

Other: Mum died in childbirth. Year two in school. Has trouble concentrating on one task at a time, gets distracted easily.

"Oh my gosh," I grumble, flipping the page and finding her birth certificate and social security card. "I can't believe this is it."

"I'm sorry Zayn, but her dad didn't care that much and she has no other family," Susan tells me sadly.

"Was she tested for ADHD or ADD?" I ask, looking back at the first paper.

"The teachers can't do anything without parents consent," she sighs. "Her father was a drunk, didn't work and didn't care what happened to her or where she was."

I close my eyes, pinch the bridge of my nose, and take a deep breath, stopping myself from punching a wall. After counting to 10, I look back up at her, dropping my hands to my side. "Do you have the papers?"

"They're all ready for you to sign as soon as you're ready," she smiles softly at me.

"Alright," I smile and turn back to the room. I take my seat and look at the smiling girl. "Blake, I have a question to ask you."

"Okay," she responds softly.

"I wanted to ask you, if you would like to come home with me," I begin, not sure how to phrase it.

"What do you mean?" she asks.

"I want to adopt you, so I'll be your new dad," I reply carefully.

"You want me?" Her voice is tiny and filled with emotion.

"Yeah love," I smile at her. "I want you."

"Okay," she smiles hugely and scoots off her chair, running to me. I slide off my chair and bend down in time to catch the girl and hold her in my arms. She wraps her limbs around me like a koala and I stand, closing my eyes and holding her tight. A knock sounds on the door and Susan walks in with the officer.

"Here are the papers Zayn," she sets them on the table. I sit down with Blake in my lap, straddling my waist and burying her face in my chest. While I'm signing all the papers so she is in my custody and her name is changed, the officer speaks to me.

"The man," he motions to her and I nod, signaling I know he is talking about her father. "Is locked up. A judge will decide how long he'll be kept there. Your video and the pictures and records we took of her will help her case. I will call you with the verdict."

"Thank you," I smile and write my name and number on the note pad he slid over the table.

"Alright my dear," Susan sighs and smiles at me. "Let me make a copy of these and then you'll be set."