12

"So are you going to tell me where we are going?" I asked, sighing and staring out the window. It was only noon and Dylan has driven past town.

"No, you can figure it out." Dylan smiled and turned up the radio for a song he liked.

While we were driving I noticed all the little things, like when he sticks his tongue out when he turns, or when he drums on the dashboard. All these things added up to Dylan. I smiled.

"You're staring," Dylan laughs.

I look away feeling embarrassed.

Finally, the car stops and we are stopped at what seems to be a giant field. Arizona is really dry, but this field is filled with grass that seems to be really healthy.

"What are we doing here?" I ask.

Dylan just gets out of the car and goes to the back where he pulls out a soccer ball.

"Coming?" He smirks.

I roll my eyes and get out of the car following Dylan to the middle of the field.

"Alright, Squirt, this is where I come for a relief." He drops the ball and starts running. "It helps me clear my head, ya know?" Dylan runs circles around me.

I laugh as his curls bounce up and down as he goes.

"So, let's go Squirt, let's play soccer."

That's when he kicks the ball and expects me to chase after him. I stand there for a while, my arms crossed, but as I see Strome dribble around with the ball I finally join him.

~

We both fought for the ball and laughed when the other person missed it. I had a lot more fun than I expected.

Dylan had the ball and I had to get it from him, but I was so tired from running around that the thought had never occurred to me till now.

I ran at him full speed and then before I could make the connections I slide tackled him.

Dylan fell next to me and started laughing, I laughed along with him and the ball was God knows where.

His head turned and he was still laughing. Dimples showed indefinitely in one side of his cheek. His nose was scrunched up while his laughter made his shoulders shake. At this point no one mattered. Because it was just me and him, laying in the middle of a field, laughing about a slide tackle.

After a while Dylan rolled over on top of me and I stopped laughing.

Completely frozen under his touch.

His arms on either side of my head holding his body up while he looked down at me. I noticed everything. The color of his eyes. The little freckles that ran over the bridge of his nose. And his face coming closer to mine.

Closer.

Closer.

I turned my head and his soft lips touched my cheek leaving their mark.

I chickened out.

Damn.

Dylan rolled off of me and walked to his car. I got up slowly after and walked to his car ready for the ride of shame.