CHAPTER FOUR

VIOLET'S POV
CHAPTER FOUR

VIOLET'S POV

I leaned on the door and fumbled aimlessly in my back-pack in a futile effort to find my key. I leaned against the door and it fell wide open, almost throwing me to the floor.

Oh God, I so don’t wanna deal with  all of a sudden care free Nick today. For the umpteenth time, isn’t he supposed to make sure the door is locked? Anyways, I shouldn't be stressing myself about this, he could be as care free as nearly setting the house on fire.

Ugh!  Life with boys, is Tess facing the same? The house was a complete mess! Books and quilt and clothes on the couch, shoes everywhere, unwanted wraps and papers littered everywhere.  Ohh my, I whined to myself, resisting the urge to leave and find another house and never come back here again.

I decided I wasn’t going to mention about my encounter with Bob. I don’t want him worrying about me less the former routine of hovering around me in school is restored. I was tired of the girls hating me for having 'the cutest guy' all to myself. But he is just being too protective and possessive of his best friend by playing the big brother role.

We were like the famous too-attached best of friends that would make you feel like a goose berry if you decided to tag along with us, whereas the girls think am blocking them a chance to have 'Mr. popular' who can't keep a girl beyond night stands. The guys were scared away by his 'you hurt her, you get killed' attitude towards them. But the truth is, Nick and I are just naturally attached to be committed to anybody else.

The pleasant smell of food danced its way to my nostrils, sending a signal to my stomach that churned in response. I instantly forgot my worries and walked towards our small kitchen.

"Hey what's up" I greeted casually lowering my butt on a stool while kicking off my shoes.

"Heyy... you scared me" he turned around swiftly, exposing his dimples with his smallest smile.

"Maybe you shouldn't have left the door unlocked" I said wearily, picking at my fingernails.

He shrugged it off... Yea, Nick does this every day, if there is anything he takes seriously, then I am yet to find out.

I avoided an eye contact, less we engage in a telepathic conversation, but I failed by making it obvious something bad happened in school today. I know for sure having a bad day at school is not something that can go unnoticed by Nick even from my voice.

"How was your day? " he broke the silence, drying dishes with a dry towel.

"it was okay..." I tried to keep the conversation short.

"Good... got real busy at work today, some stream of tourists came in" He slipped on kitchen gloves on his slim slender fingers.

"oh, nice. " I tried to sound casual but failed in my ears, still picking at my nails.

"You okay?" I didn't miss the "don't try to hide anything" he hesitated to add. He carefully brought the pan out of the oven and there was just what I wanted, potato fiesta. What a dish!

"Yeah, am good" I shrugged for the second time, feigning an innocent smile as he succeeded in locking his dazzling blue eyes to my hazel brown.

I dished out the potato and took a seat opposite him at our faintly polished table, mentally bracing up for an interrogation.

I felt tired and loss of appetite for my favorite dish even before it reached my mouth. I toyed with it instead and didn't even realize I hadn't eaten a bite until Nick clicked his fork on the table, calling for my attention. I pleadingly stared at him, offering my best puppy eyes, too stressed for any extra effort.