Chapter Eighteen: Yui ♣

"Yui, I'll be out til morning. Look after your brother. I love you, Mama."

I set the note down on the table, sighing. She did this once in a while, leave for the night. She must have a new boyfriend. Or it was because Leo had a cold. Mama couldn't handle it when we were sick.

I got up and went to the little closet I kept my things in, pulling out my cellphone from it's hiding place. Asuka had bought it for me so I could get a hold of her if I needed. I opened it up and turned it on, glancing at my sleeping baby brother. The poor thing was having a hard time breathing, and he had a slight fever.

Once the phone was on, I texted Asuka to let her know I couldn't go to the Christmas party the Host Club was throwing. She was dissapointed, but understood. I smiled as I turned the phone off.

I went to where I kept the first aid kit and pulled out the thermometer, kneeling next to Leo and taking his temperature. It went up, and I frowned. I packed up the kit and stood to grab Leo's coat. I was going to have to take him to the doctor. Luckily, it was still early enough that our family doctor's office was still open. I bundled my brother up and then put on my only jacket, slipping Leo's shoes on and scooping him up.

I made it to the office in just a few minutes and went in, going straight to the front desk and signing in. This office took walk-ins, which was convenient. I held Leo in my lap as we waited, and carried him into the room when itbwas our turn.

"What seems to be the problem, Yui-chan?" The doctor's Japanese was a little broken, as he was originally from England. He had brown spiky hair and kind green eyes, and converse adorned his feet. He had gone to school with Mama, apparently, and treated us as if we were family.

"Leo has a fever Doctor Smith." I sat the boy down on the exam table, staying near him so he didn't get scared.

The doctor examined him and wrote me a prescription. "Do you have money to buy his medicine?"

I felt my face go pale, remembering that I had just spent the last of our money on groceries. "Um, I'll figure something out..."

"Yui-chan, let me help you." He grabbed my arm and a flinched, hissing in pain; he had grabbed the bruise my mother's foot had left. "Yui-chan, what-"

Before I could pull away, he pushed the sleeve of my jacket up, revealing the yellow and black discoloration on my arm. He stared at it, seemingly in shock. "I-its nothing. I- I hit my arm on a door knob..." I tried to pull away as I flushed bright red, but I couldn't. "Its not a big deal, it's already fading, see?" I pulled away again, feeling a mix of shame and embarrassment.

His face fell, and he let go. "Yui-chan, I have to call the authorities. You and Leo can't keep staying with her if she's abusing you."

"She's not, I- I deserved it..." I held my arm close to my chest, scared suddenly.

"No child deserves to be beaten, Yui-chan." He shook his head, running a hand through his hair. "The authorities will take care of you."

I sat down hard on the floor, feeling the colour leave my face. "But, where would we go? Please, they'll just separate us..." I looked at him pleadingly, and he sighed.

"You're probably right. I'll talk with your mother. I'll make sure you'll stay safe."

I walked home, my arms barely holding up Leo. I had a feeling things were about change.

→ⓞⓗⓢⓗⓒ←

I looked back at my old apartment, tears gathering. "Its just for now. I'm going to get some help, and then we'll be together again, okay?" Mama stood in front of me, also crying. Doctor Smith stood nearby a taxi, watching us.

"Promise?" I felt a tear escape and wiped it away. I held Leo's hand, and I felt him tug on it.

"Um, yea." She attempted a smile, laying her hand on my cheek. "I'm so sorry for everything I've done." She whispered it, sounding sincere. And I knew she was; she only ever hurt me when she was drunk. When she was sober, she was the best mother ever.

I licked my lips and smiled as best as I could. "I forgive you, Mama. I love you." I leaned forward and kissed her cheek, hugging her. "We'll see you soon."

Leo, the doctor and I watched as the taxi drove away, taking Mama to a rehabilitation center. "You guys ready to go? I found a nice apartment near your school. Your neighbors are nice people."

I nodded, unsure of how I would handle this. Doctor Smith had taken responsibility for our well-being, seeing as we didn't have any relatives anywhere close by. This was the only way I could stay in the school I loved.

A/N: Um... I promise, not all Yui chapters will be this drama-filled....

Sorry it's short.

Alana