3) "This Job Will be the Death of me"

Waking up the next day, I rushed to get ready for my new job. I was excited because not only did the job pay well, but I was getting paid to be trained.

For the first time in a couple months, my dad was sober. He had terrible dark under eye circles and was half asleep on the couch.

"Good morning Maria." He said, and it's been a while since I've heard him say something normal like this.

"Good morning Dad." I answered and gave him a smile. Then I walked over to the door and pushed it open.

"Where are you going?" He asked. I raised my eyebrow, by his sudden concern of my whereabouts.

"My job, why are you concerned?" I asked him. He stiffened a little bit and rubbed his eyes.

"Shouldn't you be going to school?" He asked me. I rolled my eyes. Not as sober as I thought he was.

"It's Sunday dad, there's no school on the weekends." I told him. His eyes widened in shock.

"Sunday is poker day!" He instantly jumped off the couch and into his room where he got ready to go out. I didn't have worry too much, since he didn't even have any change left in his wallet.

I walked out the apartment building and jumped on the bus before heading out to the Mafia location. I stopped at a busy street, then walked my way into a huge work building.

"I'm here for the Mafia." I asked. The lady raised her eyebrows in confusion. Was I supposed to say that? Oops...

"The Mafia?" She asked me, and I gulped. Then I remember the slip the man handed to me. I quickly dug it out of my bag and handed it to her.

"The Mafia is our code name with my colleagues, it's a long story, just tell me which floor is room 609." I asked and she gave me a weak smile, trying best to cover up her confusion.

"That's the highest floor, level 16." She told me.

"Oh thank you." I told her and quickly jogged to the elevator. Hopefully I didn't start any problems.

After what seemed like ages, the elevator reached the highest floor and I stepped inside the huge black hall. I looked around, dazed to where I should enter. There was door but it had a code securing it. On the bottom of the numbers it stated 'Defense system will set off if wrong numbers are typed in. Type carefully...' I wasn't taking any chances. Who knows what kind of weapons they use to defend intruders? I knocked on the door a few times, but no one opened it. I looked down at my watch, and figured I was running out of time. I clearly remember what the contract wrote down in bold 'We do not accept tardiness' giving off a threatening vibe.

Then I decided I had to put the combination. I pulled out my yellow slip. It only had the room number, though I didn't see any rooms when I got up here. Maybe that's the combination? No, the Mafia wouldn't make such an easy code. But I had to take the risk, for I only had a minute left until I'm late, fired, then probably thrown into the ditch.

I instantly typed in the room number, then waited for some type of a gun to suddenly pop out and start blasting me off. Nothing. But the door didn't open at all. Then I realized a dash appeared behind the code I typed in. I don't remember typing a dash, besides there was no dash on the keyboard. I had 46 seconds left.

Think of more numbers you've possibly heard.

40... 39... 38...

"That's it!" I jumped up. The floor level. It had to be. I typed in 16, then waited for the obnoxious sound of an alarm to go off. Nothing. The door suddenly flew open and I ran inside.

"IM HERE IM NOT LATE!" I screamed. Everyone stared at me.

"Who are you?" The man at the desk asked. I raised my eyebrow in confusion.

"I'm Maria Anderson, I just recently joined by the way." I stated but he still seemed confused. He looked inside a huge book, but still has the same confused look on his face. Then he looked up at me and his eyes widened.

"It's an intruder!" He yelled. Everyone turned to look at me in shock. My mouth dropped.

"What? No! I'm new, I just joined the team, I'm a beginner, he probably forgot to add my name, call your boss, he knows me!" I started freaking out. The man shook his head.

"Get her, throw her in the ditch!" He screamed. Soon two people grabbed both my arms and I screamed as they dragged me back.

This isn't going to be how it ends for me. I instantly kicked the left persons stomach, sending him flying back, and punched the other with my free hand while he was off guard. One headed straight towards me, but I tripped him, sending him flying down to the ground. Then the other punched me while I was off guard, sending me flying down. Stars raced through my vision for a good 3 seconds before I quickly got up. Just as I got myself up he pushed me back down, but while I was down I had the advantage and tripped him. Then I took off running, but I felt the weight of heavy arms around me. I could've break free from the grip! This is how it ends! I get thrown into the dit-

"Congratulations on your first completed training assignment." A familiar Australian accent said. Everyone started clapping for me, but I wasn't as amused. My mouth dropped.

"WHAT THE HELL?!" I screamed in fury. "I went through all that, just for it to be a part of some stupid assignment!? You shouldn't have done this to me, I can't believe it?! I was scared for my life and you just joke around-"

He handed me a crisp 100$ bill, making me shut up.

"Now, let me set some ground rules." He stated while buttoning up his shirt,"Do not call me by my first name, do not ask what my first name is. Right now 'Boss' is the appropriate term. Second, no yelling when entering the building. Third, it strictly stated on the contract not to come in late-"

"I came in right on time what are you talking about!?" I screamed in my defense, cutting him off. He didn't seem to like me cutting him off so he gave me an annoyed glare.

"You came 3 seconds late!" He roared and my mouth dropped. "And fourth, don't ever interrupt me."

I gulped and nodded. It was not only his voice that can send shivers down my spine, but his attractive but very intimidating face that made me cower down.

"Now time for level 1." He told me, fixing the buttons on his shirt, wiping the fuzz off his suit.

"Level 1?! Wait so that wasn't even a level in my training?!" I asked shocked. If that was level 1, what about the highest level? Will I even make it?

"What are you talking about? Level 1 isn't even the real training training yet." He told me. My mouth dropped.

This job will be the death of me.

Hey!! Thanks for reading another one of my chapter.

Thanks for all the reads, votes and comments!

Please, I mean if you can, vote my book!

Working on chapter 4 right now ;)

Bye ~Pam <3