5) "If This Job Doesn't Kill Me, Cara Would Gladly Take up the Offer"

I got into my fighting position. A part of me, very deep down, tells me that I can actually win this. If I can just catch her off-guard for most of my hits, I can take her down and not make a huge fool out of myself.

I strode towards her, and threw a punch, but she dodged that and punched me, really hard, in the face. In my mind, I started thinking of excuses to tell my dad when I got home as to why I have a bruise on my face, just in case he's sober this one time. It's rare, but miracles do happen.

I threw a punch to her stomach, but she blocked that. I started throwing punches wherever I thought she was open, but she always ended up blocking them. This is obviously not going anywhere. I sent a kick to her hip, but she caught my foot and pushed me to the ground. Then she jumped on me and viciously attacked me like an animal. Needless to say, I passed out.

When I gained my consciousness back, I wanted to crawl into a hole and die. I've made a complete fool out of myself. No one is going to take me seriously from now on.

"Maria, are you awake?" I heard Boss. I heard his heavy footsteps walk towards me, while I thought of pretending to sleep and thinking if I had a chance to get away with it.

"Unfortunately." I answered with a sigh.

"I'm impressed. You did very well." He explained. My jaw dropped. Well?! I got savagely knocked out on front of a huge crowd. That's well to him?!

"Thank you?" I responded, with a confused tone. I waited for him to respond with a sarcastic remark, but he stood in silence. "But, how did I do.. Well?"

"You stood up for yourself. With courage. No one on my team would ever dare to stand up to Cara. She's vicious. Even I, myself, am quite afraid to get on her bad side." He explained, then shivered in fright. "Speaking of getting in her bad side... Good luck."

He tapped my shoulder and walked out. Then I panicked. If this job doesn't kill me, Cara will most likely take up the offer.

Having to end up leaving at my first day, kind of blowed. I didn't even start my training. But a part of me was glad. First off, I bet the training could be dangerous enough to get me killed, and second, I didn't want to face Cara and her wrath.

When I exited, there was a poster that caught my attention. It had this type of symbol, which was a black skull with one huge eye in the middle, but had a big red mark crossed over it, like a poster saying this wasn't allowed.

"Hey, um, who are they?" I asked the guy standing behind the main desk, with curiosity. He looked up from his laptop, to look at me, then trailed his eyes to the poster.

"Dark skull?" He asked. "I can't really say much to you, since you just recently joined, but I can tell you that they're our biggest enemy and our target for years."

My eyes widened. It must be something pretty important, though I don't get why they would put up a huge poster on front of the exit but not tell people about it. I decided to let my curiosity take a break and thanked him before leaving the building and walking to a nearby bus station.

The bus was creepily empty. Usually this place was packed. Though there was one guy sitting all the way on the other side of the bus and texting on his phone.

I pulled out my novel and started reading since I had an 1000 worded essay due by the end of the week.

When the bus came to a stop, the man stood up and walked to the exit near me, though there was an exit right in front of him. I decided not to care until I heard something like a camera click. I looked up to see the guy running away. Weird.

I decided to shrug it off. When I got home I went straight to my room but met my dad on the way. To my surprise, he was sober.

"Hey dad, you okay?" I asked. He groaned and popped an Advil in his mouth, while drinking a cup of water.

"This migraine is killing me." He told me.

"Oh. That sucks." I answered.

"Yeah." He nodded. Then there was silence. I stood there for a moment and looked around awkwardly, thinking of something to start the conversation with, but after a while, I decided to keep walking into my room.

I used to chat with my father all the time, and they would be only the best conversations. We would talk for hours, laughing, crying and giving each other advice. I would trust him with everything. But now that he's became an alcohol addict, conversing with him is hard. We have nothing to talk about anymore. He tries taking me out sometimes so we can bond again, but they'd always end up in silence.

I was in the middle of studying for an upcoming science test, until my phone ringed. I looked to see a text from boss.

"Report to the Mafia house, NOW!"

~

I am aware I haven't updated in months. Sorry guys. Sometimes I feel like updating and sometimes I don't. But I promise I will try to update as soon as I can or whenever I feel inspired to write. This is also an unedited chapter so beware of the mistakes since I'm kind of in a hurry!

But! If you'd like to know about the guy who may or may not have taken a photo of Maria and the why the boss sent her that text then tune in to read!

Thanks for all the votes and comments too!

All the love, Pam <3