Umbrellas

Even if you were inconsiderate, no one could ever call you incompetent.

Waking up the next morning, you find yourself filled with a new drive to excel. Karma is currently beating you both in studies and performance in Karasuma's class. What kind of rival would you be if you didn't make it a challenge? Besides, it's not like you'd step aside for him just because you no longer hated him. The one sitting at the number one spot in Kunugigaoka would be neither Karma nor Gakushuu – it would be you.

You hope.

It crosses your mind to ask the top student to help you with your studies, but asking Gakushuu to help you defeat Gakushuu doesn't exactly seem like a foolproof plan. The best plan of action was to study with Koro-sensei. Running out the door for school, you yell to your mother that you'll be late; you plan to review your work in the library.

"Just make sure you don't leave anything in the library," she says pointedly. Her comment was obviously unnecessary, but you don't let it get to you. You grab an umbrella to combat the pouring rain and brace yourself for the winds.

As soon as you leave the house, you feel your phone buzz. Looking at it, you see an uneasy Ritsu. "What's the problem, Ritsu?" you ask, concerned.

"I meant to tell you this yesterday, (Y/N)," Ritsu began, "but it seemed like things were a bit hectic. We have a new student today." She shuffles awkwardly. You can't help but notice how worried she is.

"Jeez, Ritsu, you okay? We've had new students before." You raise a brow. "What's so bad about this one?"

"Well... you'll see." Your phone screen goes blank, and Ritsu doesn't return no matter how much you yell at your phone. What the hell could this new student be?

On your way to the campus, you try to imagine what kind of monster it could turn out to be. Another government secret? Another robot? Another – God forbid – Karma? Caught up in your thoughts, you don't react fast enough when a gust of wind takes the umbrella from your hand. You jump for it, only to miss, slip on the ground, and fall onto your back.

Something tells me this is going to be a great day for you.

For a while, you just stare up at the grey sky and let the water hit your face. Closing your eyes, you sigh. You probably would have fallen asleep there, were it not for the figure that appears above you.

"(Y/N)?"

You open your eyes to see a familiar person: Asano Gakushuu, in the flesh. He holds an umbrella of his own in one hand, and looks down at you with a bewildered expression.

"Why are you lying on the ground? You'll catch cold if you stay there. Are you alright?" He offers you a hand, which you take.

Pulling yourself up, you shrug. "I lost my umbrella to the wind, and slipped shortly after. I didn't have the will power to get back up."

He looks at you silently for a moment. Suddenly, he starts cracking up.

"Huh? What? What's so funny?" you ask, confused.

I guess I can see why Red took an interest in her, Gakushuu thinks, calming himself down. Still, does this warrant how he acts?

"Nothing, nothing. Since you lost your umbrella, you can walk with me under mine." He mentally smirks, thinking about how to best make you fall for him. That way, when he crushed you, he would crush Karma as well.

But instead of thinking how "cute" Gakushuu is for letting you use his umbrella, your mind goes back to the unknown new student. He must be pretty scary if he had a robot on edge. It wasn't like Ritsu, the computer armed with machine guns, to be unsettled by someone's power.