Water is Evil Part 2: Attack of the Tentacles

Chapter 14

"GGRRAAAAGHH! WHY IS IT SO DAMN HOT?!"

Maehara's complaint is heard above all others. Isogai tells him to quiet down, but it's true: the weather is scorching hot. The entirety of Class E picks its way through the trees, following Koro-sensei to an unknown destination. You go to take a drink from your water bottle, but as you await the cool relief, you realize you ran out of water half a kilometer ago.

With a sigh, you return your water bottle to your bag, but, instead of empty space where your bottle belongs, there was another water bottle. Pulling it out, you notice it's about half-full. You know it's not yours, if only because you're aware that you'd never have the foresight to pack more than one water bottle, and seeing the red hair of the person brushing past you, you quickly put two and two together.

"Four..." you mutter, putting two and two together. "Oi, Karma, I don't want your –"

"Hey, Nagisa, I heard you were a total badass the other day," he says, catching up to Nagisa and ignoring your protest. Nagisa looks back and forth between you and Karma, at a loss for what was happening, but decided to play along.

You let out a small "tch," and look at the bottle. Thirst and spite are fighting for your attention, but as you begin to cough you decided that drinking was your best option.

Karma nonchalantly glances back at you to make sure you were drinking, and then continues his conversation with Nagisa.

"Um, (Y/N)?"

"Hmm?" You turn to see Kaede. "Oh, hey Kaede, what's up?"

"I mean, I know this is none of my business, but did you just drink out of Karma's water bottle?" she asks, turning pink.

You blink, confused. "Uh, yeah, why?"

"And, like, Karma drank out of it too, right?" Her face turns a darker shade when you nod again.

"Kaede, you're turning red. Is the heat getting to you? Do you need to sit down?"

"Nonono, I'm fine," she says quickly. It's... an indirect –

Kaede's thoughts are interrupted when Koro-sensei announces, "We're here!"

You run up to see what "here" is, and find yourself looking at a sort of pool made in the rocks. Koro-sensei had obviously spent a lot of time preparing it, and the class, quite excited, took of their jackets and flung themselves into the pool. You sit on a rock and dip your legs in the water, up to your shins.

Kaede floats towards you in her raft. "Aren't you getting in the water, (Y/N)?"

You give a weak smile. "I would, but the last time I was in water, it didn't go so well...." You recall the trip to Kyoto, when you fell in the water, and Kaede nods in understanding. "Besides, what are you doing in a raft? Can't swim?"

"Shut up!" She splashes you, laughing as you hiss at the water.

Koro-sensei, despite forcing others to swim rather than read, had either overheard you talking to Kaede or was informed by her as to why you weren't in the water, and he allows you to sit and watch, staying mostly dry. The octopus, on the other hand, wasn't so lucky.

After it was discovered that Koro-sensei and water don't mix, Karma immediately attempts to force him to fall in the water off of his life guard post. You almost laugh before making eye contact with Karma, and you stare him down, still trying to coax the diary out of him. He breaks contact with you to pay attention to the quivering teacher who foolishly announces to those targeting him that water makes his tentacles swell up. You look away, only to have Terasaka get your attention. He stands outside of the pool, then walks away, looking rather irritated. You shrug it off as his bad personality, and begin to make conversation with Nakamura, who had swum next to you.