A surprise Visitor

The walk back to the strong hold had been a long and painfully cold one, barefooted and dressed in nothing but your simple cotton hospital gown, you'd been gratefully happy for the warm woollen blanket you'd picked up from the train earlier that morning.

Straggled, mist dampened hair and dirtied, cobble scuffed feet you'd been thankful for the shrouded cover of the thick city smog and the desolation the early hour granted you.

As you stepped into the familiar safety of the city's stronghold, You couldn't deny the slight relieved sigh that fell from your lips. Never had you been so pleased to see the place in all its shitty glory once more. Only this time you felt quite different entering its safety, you felt down trodden and somewhat emotionally beaten, a shadow of your former self, a victim at the deranged hands of John Elliotson.

A firm push upon the stubborn weather worn wooden outer door to your shared home and it gave with a sudden jolt making you stumble slightly. You stepped tentatively inside, the floorboards granting some slight respite from the freezing hardened ground you'd walked so painfully upon for the last hour or so.

Lifting your hand from underneath the blanket's cover you gripped so tightly you took hold of the balustrade and carefully began to climb the wooden stairs to your room. One by one your dirtied and frozen feet took you to your door.

With a slight push, the door opened easily, it's battered and worn hinges groaned  loudly announcing your arrival.

"[your name]" your friend called loudly, her eyes widening to see you stood before her. She jumped to her feet and strode quickly over to where you were, her heavy soled boots scuffing loudly upon the bare floorboards as she walked "where the bloody hell have you been darlin?" She coo'ed loudly placing her arm around your shoulder comfortingly

"Oh god Mary" you sighed "I can't even begin to tell you..... It was awful"

"We all thought you was dead love" she replied gently "come on In....... Look at the bloody state of you eh"  she said her eyes flicking down to your dirtied feet "you look awful love"

You smiled gently, comforted by her manner as she led you further into your room, her arm firmly around your shoulder as you both walked towards your bed sat at the furthest wall of the modestly sized room

"Word was you and Mac was taken to the nut house in Lambeth... Was that true?" She asked as you both lowered gently down upon the beds edge

"The asylum....yeah, they'd been taking Rooks there for ages Mary, you should have seen them all... They'd all lost their minds... Like walking dead" you explained, recalling seeing your previous friends

"Bloody hell!" Mary gasped quietly lifting her hands to her mouth "all of em? Even Mac?" She asked, her eyes wide in shock.

You didn't answer just returned her question with a slow nod and a slight thinning of your lips.

"Oh shit!" She replied horrified, Her eyes began to scoot slowly across the floor as the news began to sink in.  "Mac was big enough to take a bloody whole army of men on.... all on his own" she said quietly to herself. "I can't believe it"

After a moment her thoughts slapped her firmly back "But look at you though eh.... What do you say we put the kettle on? We'll get you cleaned up and have a nice brew, then we can chat properly eh?"

You smiled happily at the thought of a nice welcoming cup of something warm. Mary jumped to her feet before striding off toward the door "right you are darlin, I'll see you right...you stay put and I'll be back in a jiffy" she smiled widely before she quickly left, her heavy footsteps slipping loudly  down the stairs and away.