Into the blinding darkness

"Shit!" Mary muttered quietly under her breath as you both turned quickly on the spot, your eyes surveyed the area as you turned, desperate to find a way out. Realising the tall tenements were completely penning you both in, you took a deepened breath

"You got your blade? You asked Mary quietly under your breath as you turned to her

"I have, yeah.... You got yours?" She asked, her voice ragged and slightly overtaken by the adrenalin that now coursed rapidly through her veins

"I have,...... We're going to have to fight, best we can..... No heroics Mary, we fight until we can leg it right?..... Meet me back at the stronghold soon as,  you got that?"

"Yeah course!" She said as her hand dipped slowly inside her jacket. When she pulled it out, her fingers grasped tightly to the hilt of her large hunting knife, the blade glinted and shone brightly in the moonlight as she twisted it within her slight fingers

With a deepened breath you gave her a weak smile and a suggested nod "shall we do this?" You asked with an underlying sense of finality, your expressions toward each other saying all the possible goodbyes you needed to say without even uttering a single word.

"Shall we?" She smiled, as you too grasped your knife from inside your jacket.

With one final pensive glance at each other you both immediately took off at speed toward the Blighters that blocked your exit, yelling some kind of loud primal scream as you ran full pelt toward them. Your attack signalled the start of the chaos that then ensued.

They blocked your initial attack, you couldn't be sure exactly what happened but no soon as you were on them, you felt a sharp pain tear through your face as you fell backwards and rather unceremoniously onto the wet cobbles. Clenching your eyes tightly closed, you tried to blink yourself free of the eye watering pain that now emanated from your numb nose. Your ragged quickened breath plumed a thick mist from your mouth as you struggled to regain at least some composure once more.

With no time to waste, your fingers grasped once more at the knife that lay close by on the dirtied cold cobbles,  your eyes refocusing upon the Blighter that strode quickly towards your seated form. Without thought your leg lifted, the sole of your boot finding his rotund stomach stopping him from getting any further forward with with his attack on you. With a deepened angered scream your pushed him with all the strength you held within your leg, his rotund form tumbled backwards and onto the cobblestones.

You pushed yourself swiftly to your unsteady feet, aware now of a slow, warm trickle that oozed from your nose and ran into your mouth. The dull metallic taste that coated your tongue told you that you were bleeding.

Holding your knife aloft you nervously readied yourself for the second blighter that slowly approached you. A man seemingly twice your size and double the breadth, he giggled evilly to himself as he stepped closer and closer, the large meat cleaver he brandished in his hand told both you and him that this already was clearly an unfair and mis matched fight.

You uttered a guttural scream toward him, your fingers grasping and shuffling nervously on the handle of your knife as you observed the sinister calmness he displayed

"You ready to die little Rook?" he growled through clenched teeth, his eyes hungrily fixing onto yours like some deranged killer ready to taste your blood and hit his sickening high.

No soon as he stepped over to you, there was a loud ear splitting crack that rang through and cut the stillness of the smog. The high walls of the tenements that surrounded you made the sound ten times louder as it bounced off and seemingly slapped you around the face.