Jacob will Understand

"Keating rode up now, and the transaction became more complicated. It ended in the purchase of the horse by Bryce for a hundred and twenty, to be paid on the delivery of Wildfire, safe and sound, at the Batherley stables. It did occur to Dunsey that it might be wise for him to give up the day's hunting, proceed at once to Batherley, and, having waited for Bryce's return, hire a horse to carry him home with the money in his pocket. But the inclination for a run, encouraged by confidence in his luck, and by a draught of brandy from his pocket-pistol at the conclusion of the bargain, was not easy to overcome, especially with a horse under him that would take the fences to the admiration of the field."

Your head snapped swiftly up , startled by the sudden sound of the carriage door slamming. "E...Evie" you stammered quietly, heart pounding as you slowly closed the book you'd become so mesmerised in.

"Oh I'm sorry [your name] did I startle you?" She smiled apologetically as she slowly stepped across the carriage floor towards you, her slender fingers pulling the thin kid leather gloves from her slight hands.

With a deepened breath, you gathered your thoughts together and gently placed the thick book upon the velvet upholstery of Jacobs chaise next to you. "No,"you smiled gently "no..... I was just passing a little time"

Evie's head tilted, her eyes narrowing as she strained to see what is was you'd been reading "ahhhh Elliot's Silas Marner, good choice!...... "She smiled before straightening "An excellent read I must say, primarily a sad story of the unjustly exile of Silas and how he is eventually restored to life by an orphan child" she grinned "one of Jacob's favourites........ I think he likes the concept of an orphan boy being able to play his part in ultimately saving Marner" she said as her fingers fumbled at the fastenings of her cloak before shrugging it completely from her slender shoulders."Jacob's always had a bit of a soft spot for waifs and strays.... I keep telling him that one day someone will take advantage of such kindness...... But he won't listen. A bumbling idiot and a simple fool mostly, but underneath it all he'd help anyone....you know what he's like" she finished as she draped her cloak carefully across the back of Agnes's chair

You smiled warmly, allowing yourself to indulge a fleeting thought about Jacob "yes, I know exactly what he's like" you hummed "oh....By the way, If you're looking for him, he's out working Evie, said he'd be back around midnight.....he did mention something about meeting with Mr Topping if you need to catch up with him, there's talk of a large prize fight soon.  I was just whiling the time away waiting for him to return..... Hence the book"

"You should make an effort to finish it, I'm sure Jacob would appreciate you doing so" She nodded as she stepped over to the drinks tray just next to you "No, I'm not looking for him....I just favoured an early night. I've let things catch up on me somewhat lately" her fingers lifted the crystal decanter and proceeded to put two glasses of dark Amber liquid. "You know,  we've never actually had a chance to sit down and chat ever have we?" She smiled as she held aloft a glass for the taking "night cap?"

Tentatively,  you took the glass from her fingers and thanked her "no, no we haven't" you replied a little perplexed as to her sudden warmness to you. With a smile, Evie lowered herself down onto the chaise next to you, she kicked her leg underneath her and comfortably nestled into its quilted corner, resting her arm across its high  back.

"You seem to be spending a lot more time with Jacob just lately" she said before she took the slightest of sips from her glass.

You nodded before following her suit and sipped at the sweetened Amber liquid you held within your fingers.It kicked deliciously at your chest as you swallowed. "I can only speak for myself.... But I love his company Evie, we get along so well" you said, Evie forced a slight sympathetic  smile at your reply, as if she almost felt sorry for your feelings you had towards her brother. There was a short and pensive  moment between you both while you fought over the right words to say to her " I've been meaning to apologise to you for so long, I'm sorry you found us that morning Evie, it was so disrespectful... Not at all what I'm usually like...I was just caught up in the moment I suppose.... I apologise"